Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector is better than NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure which cable you are referring too, the UMC does not include a 14-50 adapter, only a 5-15. Got mine a year and a half ago, no 14-50.
I mean the whole entire UMC charging cable--not referring to any adapters. Current orders placed now will not include that at all, so I was thinking of how this advice will have to be as of now for orders placed now. If someone wants to use an outlet and charge cable, they will have to pay that extra $200 to buy the cable.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I agree:

Outlet is $50-$80
GFIC Breaker is $100-$150
Adapter is $45
A mounting system of some kind is $30
Total is $225 to $305

Wall Connector is $400 + $10 to $15 for a breaker

So the Wall Connector is about $105 to $190 more, which is trivial after buying the car!
You forgot the cost of the mobile connector !!! Add $200 + $225 to $305 = $425 to $505 for complete mobile connector setup.

Also you can get an adapter from Tesla to J1772 (about $200). To charge most other EV’s. I use the Wall Conndctor to charge my wife’s Volt.

Reactions: GSP and Ormond
You forgot the cost of the mobile connector !!! Add $200 + $225 to $305 = $425 to $505 for complete mobile connector setup.

Also you can get an adapter from Tesla to J1772 (about $200). To charge most other EV’s. I use the Wall Conndctor to charge my wife’s Volt.
The wall connector is a great product. I’m planning to install a 2nd unit on the same 60 amp circuit in preparation for the wife’s Rivian R1S. I love how the 3rd gen can use WiFi to share the same circuit with another wall connector. Will use one of these most likely:

While the TWC SHOULD be cheaper and easier to install, reality is not always the case when it comes to electricians...

A friend of mine is getting their Tesla Model 3 soon, EDD keeps moving but probably end of this month, so just went through this with 14-50 vs Wall Connector. I believe with the timing of his order, car won't come with UMC, so I relayed all the info about how the TWC would probably end up being less cost after all the other parts were included. He also wanted the 14-50 for flexibility in case of another EV, and I told him all about the Jdapter or Lectron adpater to convert Tesla plug to J1772.

But after my saying all of that, the electrician he chose quoted $200 MORE for installing the Wall Connector, though it should be less parts and less work. And while all parts (wiring, outlet, etc) would be included in the 14-50 quote, the Wall Connector quote had a vague caveat about parts not being included. It was unclear he was just saying the Wall Connector itself was not included, or whether he meant the wiring was going to be extra, even though the TWC possibly even has less wiring (due to lack of neutral) than the 14-50. Possibly my friend wasn't specific about amperage, and the electrician thought he needed to upwire it to 80A, instead of the same 50A, even though the Gen3 only goes up to 48A? Or maybe the Gen3 seems to have more complicated wi-fi and provisioning steps, whereas Gen1/Gen2 you just set a dial for amps and that's it?

In any case, my friend didn't want to deal with the extra $200, nor did he want to wait until he had a Wall Connector in hand for the install. So he got the 14-50 installed, I brought over both a Gen1 and Gen2 UMC to test, along with our M3 LR. Confusing because the car is rated to 48A, but the Gen2 UMC is limited to 32A so can't fully exercise the car. And the Gen1 UMC is limited to 40A, which is fine since it's a 14-50, but also can't test to the car's limit.

I then sold my Gen2 UMC to my friend (with 14-50 adapter included) since they're out of stock online. I literally have never used it, and we have the Gen1 UMC already. Which the latter we have also not used since installing a 1st gen Wall Connector, (so there's something to Elon's point about not including it anymore...)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The wall connector is a great product. I’m planning to install a 2nd unit on the same 60 amp circuit in preparation for the wife’s Rivian R1S. I love how the 3rd gen can use WiFi to share the same circuit with another wall connector. Will use one of these most likely:
Keep in mind the sharing might not work between Tesla and Non Tesla. It needs to talk to the cars to know who requires the charging the most. It might have a dumb mode that splits it 50-50 if both call for charging.

While the TWC SHOULD be cheaper and easier to install, reality is not always the case when it comes to electricians...

A friend of mine is getting their Tesla Model 3 soon, EDD keeps moving but probably end of this month, so just went through this with 14-50 vs Wall Connector. I believe with the timing of his order, car won't come with UMC, so I relayed all the info about how the TWC would probably end up being less cost after all the other parts were included. He also wanted the 14-50 for flexibility in case of another EV, and I told him all about the Jdapter or Lectron adpater to convert Tesla plug to J1772.

But after my saying all of that, the electrician he chose quoted $200 MORE for installing the Wall Connector, though it should be less parts and less work. And while all parts (wiring, outlet, etc) would be included in the 14-50 quote, the Wall Connector quote had a vague caveat about parts not being included. It was unclear he was just saying the Wall Connector itself was not included, or whether he meant the wiring was going to be extra, even though the TWC possibly even has less wiring (due to lack of neutral) than the 14-50. Possibly my friend wasn't specific about amperage, and the electrician thought he needed to upwire it to 80A, instead of the same 50A, even though the Gen3 only goes up to 48A? Or maybe the Gen3 seems to have more complicated wi-fi and provisioning steps, whereas Gen1/Gen2 you just set a dial for amps and that's it?

In any case, my friend didn't want to deal with the extra $200, nor did he want to wait until he had a Wall Connector in hand for the install. So he got the 14-50 installed, I brought over both a Gen1 and Gen2 UMC to test, along with our M3 LR. Confusing because the car is rated to 48A, but the Gen2 UMC is limited to 32A so can't fully exercise the car. And the Gen1 UMC is limited to 40A, which is fine since it's a 14-50, but also can't test to the car's limit.

I then sold my Gen2 UMC to my friend (with 14-50 adapter included) since they're out of stock online. I literally have never used it, and we have the Gen1 UMC already. Which the latter we have also not used since installing a 1st gen Wall Connector, (so there's something to Elon's point about not including it anymore...)
The electrician is probably not familiar with installing EV chargers and would rather just install a 14-50. He should find another electrician that regularly installs them. Also, you need a 60 amp circuit to charge at 48 amps. A 50 amp circuit would have a max charge rate of 40 amps.

The install job should be less expensive because only a standard breaker is needed for a hard wired wall connector. The 14-50 needs GFCI breaker and those can be pricey. They are also not reliable when used with EV chargers. They trip frequently. They are nusciance trips too because they don’t happen every day and they can trip when the charger is not even in use. If your having a new job done do yourself a favor and avoid installing a 14-50.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
Keep in mind the sharing might not work between Tesla and Non Tesla. It needs to talk to the cars to know who requires the charging the most. It might have a dumb mode that splits it 50-50 if both call for charging.
That was my understanding. With a non Tesla it would just split the available current 50/50 providing 24 amps to each vehicle. I have to read documents again too because I also thought there was a Master/Slave setup where the “master” wall connector would take priority over the other. In that case you would think if I had the Tesla connected it could reduce the charge it’s taking when the SOC gets close to full and give the “slave” unit a little more juice. The Rivian will have a much larger pack than the MY. The large pack is approximately 130kw from what I have been reading.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had a 14-50 outlet in my garage and was using the Mobile Connector. It worked great and had no problems. Got 29mph After a weekend trip to a wedding 4hrs away and forgetting the charger at home I went ahead and ordered the Wall Connector. Now the Mobile Connector stays in my car at all time and I get 42mph at home. Looks better and charges faster. I installed mine with all 4 gauge wire because I wanted to.

Attachments

• 346D673E-C78D-4A06-A093-A1335F201704.jpeg
    346D673E-C78D-4A06-A093-A1335F201704.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 244
Oh heck get Both. The Tesla wall connector on 60 amps and a 14-50 for your RV and other EV friends. A real Boy Scout would have the Mobile Connector, 50’ 30amp extension cord, with the Full Adapter Kit and TT30 along with the CCS 1 adapters. Hold off on the CHAdeMO adapter 😜🤣🤣😎

Reactions: legendsk
Unless you're terribly disorganized and don't remember to charge overnight, you've just wasted your money, but with the money I've saved I just bought my wifey a Model 3.

I don't think you can buy a Model 3 for a few hundred bucks.

And if you're disorganized, I doubt you have much money to spare.

Condescending, much?

Maybe the Wall Charger looks cool to you. Doesn't do it for me.

It is pretty darned cool looking. And it is weatherproof. The Mobile Connector is not.

I don't think you can buy a Model 3 for a few hundred bucks.

Condescending, much?

It is pretty darned cool looking. And it is weatherproof. The Mobile Connector is not.
+1 for this solid response to such a condescending post. Love it! 👍 I, too, have had the wall connector since day one and couldn’t imagine not having it. I don’t, however, understand why anyone would try and down another person who prefers one charging setup over the other. To each, his own. ☮️ ✌️

The charging speed difference doesn’t matter to me because both will give a full charge overnight anyways. And usually you wouldn’t be going from 0-100% full daily so the charging speed difference would be even less of a factor.

I also plan to have non-Tesla EVs in the future so 14-50 gives more flexibility for me.
On those days when I might make two round trips to the airport, cranking the wall charger up to 48A for a top-up is real nice. (Otherwise charging at 40A overnight).

For your future non-Tesla EV, you’ll have a Tesla to J1772 adapter anyway to use those Superchargers… 😉

Why are you choosing to charge at 40A when you have the ability to charge at 48A?
Why would you do your overnight charging at 48 A? Do you have a short “super off-peak” window for electric rates, and drive over 120 miles/day?

For most people, 32 A, or even 16 A, [at 240 V] is sufficient to be fully charged in the morning. The only reason for this majority to charge faster, if they can, is to get to the speed that maximizes charging efficiency.

GSP

Why would you do your overnight charging at 48 A? Do you have a short “super off-peak” window for electric rates, and drive over 120 miles/day?

For most people, 32 A, or even 16 A, [at 240 V] is sufficient to be fully charged in the morning. The only reason for this majority to charge faster, if they can, is to get to the speed that maximizes charging efficiency.

GSP
The faster you level 2 charge the slightly more efficient it gets. Also in some unique conditions speed is more convenient. Let’s say I got home from a long trip late and need to leave early next morning for another. At 16A my S would only add 140 miles in 10 hours. In extreme cold conditions at 16 A you’ll be waiting a long time before heating finishes to even start charging. Off peak windows are often ~8hrs. Again at 16A I would’ve even get 1/3 of my battery charged on off peak.

For normal day to day driving, 16A is enough. I have 24 A in one location. But you have to SC in those relatively few corner cases. But if you had faster charging at home you can avoid SC more often and probably cheaper. So if you have the capacity for 48A charging, go for it. Can you get by with out it, of course. But the faster you can charge at home the more convenient and cheaper it gets.

Reactions: GSP

GSP

I agree that charging at a lower rate is typically fine for most people. I charge at 48A because
  1. I have 200A service so there is no need to limit the charging rate
  2. The higher the rate the greater the efficiency, although I understand some people may have a different view
  3. I allow the WC to control the charge and do not have to set a limit in the car
  4. There is no harm in charging at the higher rate

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
  1. The higher the rate the greater the efficiency, although I understand some people may have a different view
  2. There is no harm in charging at the higher rate
Regarding the amps at home, my responses to these two items are "yes" and "no", respectively.

Yes, the efficiency is usually better at pretty decent speeds to cut down on wasted overhead and is just a level where the onboard chargers operate efficiently.
But, I've been around two Tesla forums since about 2013, and I've seen enough threads of failed charging equipment to see that Tesla likes to build for just barely what they rate the equipment for as far as amps. I saw a lot of threads of both wall connectors and mobile charge cables that burned out or melted things after a couple of years when they were always running at their maximum rated amps every single day. So I think just for extending the life of your equipment, it's prudent to run it several amps lower than the maximum rated value to keep it a little cooler in daily use unless you have a day where you need more.

@ATPMSD - Thanks for your reply. Your reasoning makes good sense to me.

@mswlogo - I agree there occasional are situations where faster home charging is handy to have, even for overnight charging as you suggest. I was referring to using the max 48 A rate every night, whether it is needed or not.

My home charging is limited to 16 A at 240 V. This has been quite sufficient for my typical daily driving over the last 6 years. My car is always fully charged in the morning, except for those occasions I arrive home late from a road trip, at low SOC, like @mswlogo describes. Although not fully charged the next morning, I have way more than enough for the next day’s driving, and the car catches up to a full charge the following morning. I am lucky to have a 12 hour “super off-peak” window, at only $0.04/kWh! I offer this just as a data point for new EV drivers to consider. I still would like to have faster charging available, it would be convenient to have from time to time, in addition to slightly reducing the electricity the car uses, due to greater charging efficiency.

Tesla has been encouraging customers to get their Wall Connector, instead of using the Mobile Connector, for some time now. Given US code requirements for GFCI breakers and Tesla’s latest price changes for the US [UMC +$200, HPWC -$125], it really does make sense to get the HPWC.

GSP

Reactions: mswlogo