Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector is better than NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno a GFCI is only 100 bucks more..
Plus plug adapter ($45), plus wall hook of some kind. Plus the outlet itself, (around $50) Granted, they did change the new cord bundle so it comes with 14-50 plug again, but if someone is going to use a 14-30 or 6-20 or 6-50 or something, they would need to buy that.
Tesla is starting to ship with the mobile charger again..
Oh really? I have not seen that anywhere. As far as I know, they are still NOT including that with new orders placed now. So no, that would be an additional $200 for the charging cable too.
And a lot of people are really set on 14-XX type outlets, which have an extra neutral wire that's needed for XX number of feet, which can be kind of expensive with copper wire prices right now.
plus even if you bought a WC wouldn't you still buy a mobile charger for traveling?
Meh, maybe, but maybe not. If you're traveling on interstates to decent sized cities, there are Superchargers and J1772 and CHAdeMO stations, where there's really almost no chance that you would have a need to go find an outlet to plug into while you are traveling. Also, we are in a situation many other people are in now--we're getting our second Tesla now at the end of this year, so we don't have any need for another extra mobile charging cable when we already have one.

Reactions: DrGriz
Plus plug adapter ($45), plus wall hook of some kind. Plus the outlet itself, (around $50) Granted, they did change the new cord bundle so it comes with 14-50 plug again, but if someone is going to use a 14-30 or 6-20 or 6-50 or something, they would need to buy that.

Oh really? I have not seen that anywhere. As far as I know, they are still NOT including that with new orders placed now. So no, that would be an additional $200 for the charging cable too.
And a lot of people are really set on 14-XX type outlets, which have an extra neutral wire that's needed for XX number of feet, which can be kind of expensive with copper wire prices right now.

Meh, maybe, but maybe not. If you're traveling on interstates to decent sized cities, there are Superchargers and J1772 and CHAdeMO stations, where there's really almost no chance that you would have a need to go find an outlet to plug into while you are traveling. Also, we are in a situation many other people are in now--we're getting our second Tesla now at the end of this year, so we don't have any need for another extra mobile charging cable when we already have one.
Like you said most already have the adapter plug and I have hit many an RV park over the years where I would always want a 14-50 adapter.. I 3D printed a Tesla wall hanger for like $3.. and I've been using the $10 receptacle from home Depot for over a decade with not even the slightest amount of warmth coming from the receptacle..

Plus I didn't have to size the run for 60A .. I think the WC is great but not worth it for me

Plus I didn't have to size the run for 60A ..
You don't have to for a wall connector either. Maybe a lot of people just don't know?? I suppose it is unusual among EVSE products. Most of them that are sold are one given fixed power level, and that's it. There's no changing that. The Tesla wall connector isn't like that. It's a variable setting device--all of the versions always have been. They can be installed on many different levels of circuit, which is very nicely versatile. So you can use it on many levels of circuit, from 15A, up to 60A.

You don't have to for a wall connector either. Maybe a lot of people just don't know?? I suppose it is unusual among EVSE products. Most of them that are sold are one given fixed power level, and that's it. There's no changing that. The Tesla wall connector isn't like that. It's a variable setting device--all of the versions always have been. They can be installed on many different levels of circuit, which is very nicely versatile. So you can use it on many levels of circuit, from 15A, up to 60A.
Well that would take away 20% of the benefit of the WC, no?

I dunno a GFCI is only 100 bucks more.. Tesla is starting to ship with the mobile charger again.. plus even if you bought a WC wouldn't you still buy a mobile charger for traveling? So either way you're spending $400 more for the WC

Also with the WC your feeder has to be capable of 60a vs 50a with derating so that alone could cost quite a bit more depending on your run...

Let’s run the numbers:

Commercial / industrial grade 14-50 outlet is $50-80, GFIC breaker is $100-150, mobile connector is $200, adapter $45, some sort of cable management system Is $30, totals $425-$505

Wall connector is $400 plus $10 for a breaker, this totals $410. If you choose to add a mobile connector to keep in the car this adds $200. So the grand total is now $610, which is just $105-$185 more, not $400. IMHO $105-$185 is trivial after spending tens of thousands of dollars on the car. Also, with this option the mobile connector stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed.

Let’s run the numbers:

Commercial / industrial grade 14-50 outlet is $50-80, GFIC breaker is $100-150, mobile connector is $200, adapter $45, some sort of cable management system Is $30, totals $425-$505

Wall connector is $400 plus $10 for a breaker, this totals $410. If you choose to add a mobile connector to keep in the car this adds $200. So the grand total is now $610, which is just $105-$185 more, not $400. IMHO $105-$185 is trivial after spending tens of thousands of dollars on the car. Also, with this option the mobile connector stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed.
14-50 outlet is $10 .. we're not doing commercial welding I've used the $10 outlet in two places for 10 years its fine and gets 5 start reviews on home Depot by thousands of other EV users.. depending on the laws in your area you may or may not require a GFCI

Cable management is $3 3d print a Tesla wall holder of your choice.. so it's more like $300 more worse case and buys me very little

14-50 outlet is $10 .
NO!!!!! This is typically the Leviton "home" outlet and is totally inappropriate for use with EV chargers, just search the forums. If you use a 14-50 outlet for use with an EV charger it really needs to be a commercial / industrial grade outlet. But its your house.

depending on the laws in your area you may or may not require a GFCI

Maybe: NEC Adoption by State: A State-by-State Guide to Compliance - BHS Industrial Equipment

o it's more like $300 more worse case and buys me very little

Whatever math works for you after all it is your choice. :)

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Let’s run the numbers:

Also, with the wall connector you can run 2 conductor cable instead of 3, which saves even more. WC is the clear winner if cost, convenience, safety, performance, and appearance are concerns.

Last edited:
I bought the HPWC and took advantage of the Federal Tax credit that was available last year. That covered 30% of parts and labor.
I also purchased the HPWC this past January when it was $550. I requested a refund from Tesla when the price was reduced to $400 and received a $150 refund on my credit card.
I also qualified for the NJ PSE&G $1500 credit on my electric bill so I'm pretty happy but still waiting for my VIN number.

Attachments

• PSE&G NJ Rebate IMG_8120.JPG
    PSE&G NJ Rebate IMG_8120.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 623
We have been over and over and over this with you, specifically, for several months now, and you don't seem willing to receive the information. Because of several kinds of price changes and code changes, the situation now is WAY different. It really doesn't cost any more at all to just do the wall connector now than it would be to do an outlet and mobile charging cord now. They are the same out of pocket cost for someone ordering now. (Or actually, it seems just barely cheaper outright to do the wall connector.)

So this doesn't have to do with whether it rains in your garage or anything else. It's simply not more expensive to do the wall connector for new buyers, so that is why the sensible advice is different now than what you are telling people.
The reason I don't respond is that I don't comb through the article and its subsequent comments to see what people have had to say. Yes, I'm probably wrong, comparing a ten-dollar outlet with a few-hundred-dollar wall connector, but if it really is nearly the same outlay, then of course one should buy the wall connector. But they should also realize that other options exist which actually are more useful and less expensive. Oh, I mean they're the "same ... cost". But not for me.

Basically, I DO NOT BELIEVE that it costs the same, and I doubt you have that proof. It only costs the same "for new buyers" because they cannot learn to do any of the work themselves and must hire some overpriced electrician. I've even had my daughter do part of the wiring for her outlet. It's not rocket science.

If it were me, and it is, I'd check on the prices, for it seems impossible that an outlet I can install ($30) would cost the same as the connector ($400 not counting installation). Both of my cars came with the charging cable, so my only outlay is my outlet. My garage was not yet sheet rocked, so running my 6-3 w/ground was a matter of buying the wire and pushing it over the ceiling joists. The outlet just screwed to a stud. I have never handed over such a simple job to some dude who has an electrician's license and charges $400 an hour, which immediately means I pay less because I have the intelligence to know what I'm doing. THIS is why it's cheaper for me to install an outlet over buying a wall connector:: I do my own work. All thirty minutes of it.

I feel sorry for the masses who are unable to do this simple job, who pay extra for simple work, and who are unwilling or unable to gain the knowledge to do it themselves. I wish, deep inside me, that others could figure this out. It's cheaper to learn something that you can use over and over again in the future than to hire someone to do it for you every time you come upon another SIMPLE job, of any kind. It's cheaper to vacuum your own carpet than to hire a maid. My county says the I can do my own work at my own house at minimum expense, but an electrician must do the work if I don't, and charge me a bundle. That's not too smart. I've wired a couple 220 volt outlets at no cost for friends who only wanted to charge their cars in their garage, and no, we didn't blow a $400 wad on buying a wall connector.

As to charging both cars in succession, I can do that, too, by using my phone app to tell them both when to start and when to stop. Again, it's not rocket science.

Also, with the wall connector you can run 2 conductor cable instead of 3, which saves even more. WC is the clear winner if cost, convenience, safety, performance, and appearance are concerns.
Well, you've proved your point to yourself, although I feel you've massaged the numbers to prove it. It didn't cost me anywhere near what you're quoting. But if you're happy spending that kind of money, go for it.

Reactions: gt2690b
I dunno a GFCI is only 100 bucks more.. Tesla is starting to ship with the mobile charger again.. plus even if you bought a WC wouldn't you still buy a mobile charger for traveling? So either way you're spending $400 more for the WC

Also with the WC your feeder has to be capable of 60a vs 50a with derating so that alone could cost quite a bit more depending on your run...
I dunno if I would buy a mobile connector in that case or not. I've been driving electric since my 2011 Nissan LEAF, three different electric cars (plus a plug in Prius). I can count the number of times I've used a mobile EVSE outside of my own garage on one hand...and all of those were either that first couple of years when public charging was hard to find, or was my RAV4 EV when it did not support DC fast charging. Not once with my Tesla, and unless I take up camping, or start staying with relatives, neither of which I do, I rather doubt I'm going to.

Since I own them, I'll keep them, but buying one just to carry around, not so much.

My garage was not yet sheet rocked, so running my 6-3 w/ground was a matter of buying the wire and pushing it over the ceiling joists. The outlet just screwed to a stud. I have never handed over such a simple job to some dude who has an electrician's license and charges $400 an hour, which immediately means I pay less because I have the intelligence to know what I'm doing.
If you have the intelligence required to install an outlet, you have the intelligence required to install a WC. It's not hard and the wiring instructions come in the same box the WC comes in!

@roblab I guess this is for the benefit of everyone else reading this thread then. You said you doubt we have the proof that they are the same cost, when that has been laid out in detail several times. And then you described your do-it-yourself job in which you disregarded and violated electric code.

So...that's one thing people could do. Or, they could do it better.

I dunno if I would buy a mobile connector in that case or not. I've been driving electric since my 2011 Nissan LEAF, three different electric cars (plus a plug in Prius). I can count the number of times I've used a mobile EVSE outside of my own garage on one hand...and all of those were either that first couple of years when public charging was hard to find, or was my RAV4 EV when it did not support DC fast charging. Not once with my Tesla, and unless I take up camping, or start staying with relatives, neither of which I do, I rather doubt I'm going to.

Since I own them, I'll keep them, but buying one just to carry around, not so much.
Yeah I go camping quite a bit.. and using RV sites gets you to those fringe areas of the US where the superchargers have still not infiltrated... i agree if i didnt travel much i wouldn't need a mobile connector

@roblab I guess this is for the benefit of everyone else reading this thread then. You said you doubt we have the proof that they are the same cost, when that has been laid out in detail several times. And then you described your do-it-yourself job in which you disregarded and violated electric code.

So...that's one thing people could do. Or, they could do it better.
do you have the exact wording in the code? somewhere in article 625? all i can find is for EVPE where you are providing bi-directional power.. not the case for Teslas

which brings up another point... installing a 14-50 does allow you to backfeed your house in the event of a power outage (if you have an EV that supports that)... not possible with a Tesla WC

Last edited:
You guys are getting anal about this and a lot of this has degraded into special cases, or just utter nonsense. On a new installation the wall connector is not only cheaper but also provides a higher rate of charge, and is the more capable option. Period. Even when you add the purchase of a mobile connector to the mix the extra cost is minimal compared to the cost of the car.

Time for this thread to end. 97 responses to the OPs question is just silly. For me, I’m done here.

Reactions: Canyonero
You guys are getting anal about this and a lot of this has degraded into special cases, or just utter nonsense. On a new installation the wall connector is not only cheaper but also provides a higher rate of charge, and is the more capable option. Period. Even when you add the purchase of a mobile connector to the mix the extra cost is minimal compared to the cost of the car.

Time for this thread to end. 97 responses to the OPs question is just silly. For me, I’m done here.
Guess you like to pay more and won't be back feeding

I don't consider sharing information and helping ensure everyone is legal as being "anal".. that's kind of the point of a forum
🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Depending on when you placed your order for the Tesla Model Y you will receive the Mobile Connector kit with the 5-15 (standard 120V) plug adapter. If you need the 14-50 plug adapter it is available from Tesla for $45. (After the cut off date buyers won't receive the Mobile Connector with the Model Y, will have to purchase the Mobile Connector kit for $200 (starting in the August 2022 time frame the Mobile Connector kit will come with the 5-15 and 14-50 plug adapters.

The Wall Connector is in most cases the better option versus the Mobile Connector w/14-50:

- Wall Connector enables charging at 40 amps instead of 32 amps (for the Mobile Connector). This is for a circuit rated for 50 amps. The 14-50 receptacle is rated for a maximum of 50 amps. For a circuit rated for 60 amps the Wall Connector (hard wired) would enable charging at 48 amps.
- Wall Connector has a 24 foot charging cord versus just 18 foot for the Mobile Connector
- Wall Connector is fully weather rated for outdoor use

Regarding the GFCI, both the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connector have a built in GFCI that protects the user when plugging the charging connector into the Tesla vehicle's charging port. The need for a GFCI circuit breaker came with the 2017 revision of the national electrical code (NEC.) All EV charging circuits that terminate with a receptacle are required to have GFCI protection for the receptacle. This GFCI protects the user when plugging and unplugging the power plug from the wall receptacle. For a 14-50 receptacle the only available GFCI is to install a GFCI circuit breaker (this can cost up to $150.) When you install the Wall Connector it is hard wired (there is no plug or receptacle) so there is no need for a separate GCFI.