Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector is better than NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great. My wife has a M3 Long range and has been getting great results from the standard wall plug for her daily usage. Now that I have a MY Long Range, I came across this board and decided to purchase a Tesla Wall Charger. I will probably ship this week and I'll get it next week. Now it's up to schedule an installer to install this in my garage.

Quick question for the group members with 2 Teslas and a garage, do you have one Tesla Wall Charger or two? We think that using a standard charger for one car and a wall adapter should be fine but wondering if you find it best to have two. I might have to order another one since they both share the same circuit.
I share one with my wife. I start my charge at 11PM (off peak rate) and when I go to work at 5AM, I plug in her car since she doesn't have to leave before 9AM or sometimes 11AM. So far so good, but I might be switching back to basic rate over the EV rate plan so we can charge when ever we want.

Oh heck get Both. The Tesla wall connector on 60 amps and a 14-50 for your RV and other EV friends. A real Boy Scout would have the Mobile Connector, 50’ 30amp extension cord, with the Full Adapter Kit and TT30 along with the CCS 1 adapters. Hold off on the CHAdeMO adapter 😜🤣🤣😎
IMG_20220531_190610.png

Does 30' 50A count? (no tt30 though)

So jelly where'd you get the ccs?
Harum.io like everyone else.

Takes between 1-3 weeks to get the item (comes factory sealed from Tesla) if you're in Canada, you may have to pay an import duty.

Reactions: gt2690b
Harum.io like everyone else.

Takes between 1-3 weeks to get the item (comes factory sealed from Tesla) if you're in Canada, you may have to pay an import duty.
Have you used it yet? Do we have to do anything special?

Are there cheaper hardwired alternatives than the wall charger? One of the J1772 options maybe?
Honestly, Tesla has the best prices right now. You can buy portable chinese EVSEs cheaper, but if you wanted one of those, you'd be better off buying the Tesla mobile connector. At this point, the only reason to buy a J1772 EVSE is to accomodate non-Tesla cars.

Are there cheaper hardwired alternatives than the wall charger? One of the J1772 options maybe?
The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($400 US) is currently priced very competitively. Any comparable 48 amp capable EVSE from Chargepoint, ChargePro, Juicebox or ClipperCreek would cost several hundred dollars more.

Perhaps if you are able to take advantage of a rebate program through your local power utility you could find a less expensive hard wired EVSE. Some of the state and local EVSE rebate programs exclude the Tesla Wall Connector because of the proprietary charging connector.

Perhaps if you are able to take advantage of a rebate program through your local power utility you could find a less expensive hard wired EVSE. Some of the state and local EVSE rebate programs exclude the Tesla Wall Connector because of the proprietary charging connector.
I paid $150 for a Juicebox 40 through PSE&G, my local power provider. I have Tesla and non-Tesla EVs so I need to be able to charge both.
I have a 50amp circuit to my garage, and so the Juicebox 40 is a good fit for me.
I've never had to charge more than one car at a time so load sharing is not important (at least to me).

Reactions: GSP and gt2690b
I would suggest installing the Tesla wall unit, but having the electrician pull through an additional set of wires for a future 14-50 hookup. It will only cost a little more than the wall unit install, but give u the option of an inexpensive second source of power in the future.

I would suggest installing the Tesla wall unit, but having the electrician pull through an additional set of wires for a future 14-50 hookup.
I don't think an additional set of wires are necessary. Power for a 14-50 connector or a hard wired 50 amp connection are the same (same gauge wire, same conduit when needed, etc.). Except for a 50 amp GFCI breaker needed with the 14-50 connector, the only difference is a junction box versus a 14-50 connector. You can easily change from one to the other.

Lead time for my wall connector will be 8 days from ordering online to delivery, with shipping the longrst piece. Don’t know why they didn’t offer me the option to pay for expedited shipping as I might have paid for that.

I had the wall charger installed in my garage. A popular local electric company charged me $1,200. I only went with it because a quote from electricians on Tesla’s website was like $2,000.

But I feel like that’s way too much right? My house is a 2016 build and it only took him one hour to install it.

I had the wall charger installed in my garage. A popular local electric company charged me $1,200. I only went with it because a quote from electricians on Tesla’s website was like $2,000.

But I feel like that’s way too much right? My house is a 2016 build and it only took him one hour to install it.
It depends on how far the location of the Wall Connector is relative to the home's service panel. The electrician has to add cost for the time to obtain a permit (required in many jurisdictions), and purchase the needed wire, conduit, breaker junction box and and any connectors. The price you paid could be a bit higher than some other electrician would have charged. In my experience good electricians do not work cheap and cheap electricians may not do good work.

Reactions: GSP and howardnj
Mine charged me around CA$1000 for the work itself. The box was placed right next to the panel in the garage and the house was less than a year old, he said it was one of the easiest install so far.

BUT, he charged me another CA$600 for an inspection fee, and apparently, the city inspector only visits about 10% of the requested inspections, so in my case, no one came.... 😅 I still received the inspection"pass" paper though.

Our electrician installed a Nema 14-50 box and we plug the wall connector into that.
Perhaps you were referring to the Mobile Connector. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired and does not come fitted with a power plug. Tesla does not provide installation instructions for attaching a power plug to the Wall Connector, so adding a power plug to the Wall Connector (which some have done) does not meet code. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector is designed to accept different power plug adapters. The NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector enables charging at 240V and up to 32 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H