Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instant Torque - Near Miss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still annoyed since it just happened but the instant torque was a huge plus. He slid 10 or 12 feet (tire marks are still in front of my house) so chances are he would have hit me though I can't tell for sure from the video. I was already watching him as people tend to run that stop sign and or speed in my neighborhood so I made sure I had my signal on and sure enough, he's looking everywhere except where he is going.

Your situational awareness saved the day there.
Another thing about instant torque, people are not used to cars moving that fast. I enjoy the acceleration at my disposal and usually take advantage of it. I had an individual pull out in front of me who, judging by the distance between the light I took off from and where he entered the road from the right would in a non-Tesla world have had plenty of time. It startled me and made me aware of a new hazard - the sense of timing of a slower world...:eek:

There is no stop sign he ran thru. You were going too slow for the condition. He didn't expect a road block in the middle of the road.
Speed up!!

Yes, I have got to say that by the looks of things on your cameras, you were puttering along awfully slowly. Teslas were not made to go slow! That drives me crazy when I am behind you. Don't be a rule follower! Speed limits are merely suggestions. You can safely add 15 mph to any speed limit almost anywhere.

The guideline is this: If I am right behind you and keeping up with you, you're going too slow!

Yes, I have got to say that by the looks of things on your cameras, you were puttering along awfully slowly. Teslas were not made to go slow! That drives me crazy when I am behind you. Don't be a rule follower! Speed limits are merely suggestions. You can safely add 15 mph to any speed limit almost anywhere.

The guideline is this: If I am right behind you and keeping up with you, you're going too slow!

I don't think you guys comprehend what OP just posted. The idiot driver(hence forth designated as ID) ran the stop sign before making the right turn. OP then slowed down since he was pulling into his driveway. Fortunately, he had his eyes on his rearview monitoring the ID who had just ran that stop sign. When he realized the ID wasn't slowing down, he stomped on the accelerator, thereby avoiding a rear end collision.

He had his turn signal on to turn into his driveway, saw the car coming from behind and accelerated instead of tirning.

Aside: the marks left on the road is not the plastic from the tire, it's heated asphalt.

People like you shouldn't have a driver license.

There is no stop sign he ran thru. You were going too slow for the condition. He didn't expect a road block in the middle of the road.
Speed up!!

BS, the speed limit is 25 and it's my driveway I was pulling into dummy.

The other thing is some here, go through that stop sign @35 MPH without even slowing and are going to eventually kill someone - he would have ran it, except I was in his way.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionXng

Again, my house is the 2nd house after that turn, I have to slow down to pull into it. I kept going straight and circled back around because I shot past my house avoiding that dumba$$.

If you look closely, right after I accelerate, the house with the gray truck and open garage is my house.

Last edited:
He had his turn signal on to turn into his driveway, saw the car coming from behind and accelerated instead of tirning.

Thank you! Yes exactly, in this neighborhood I drive the posted speed limit and physics says I can't turn into my driveway 90 degrees at 25 MPH.

Everyone else... pay attention, you guys are as bad a readers as that person behind me is a driver. :D

Last edited:

If anything going slower may have helped clue the guy behind him that he's going to come to a stop soon. The main issue is the other driver being inattentive.

OP if this happens often on your street maybe flicking on the hazards shortly before you turn in would help.

I'm pretty sure this was meant to be funny, you guys don't need to get angry

You do know that wide angled cameras distort our judgement of speed, right? And as for your theory, I'll be happy to read-end you next time you are slowing to make a turn, then point to your post here as proof that your were iiable. :)

I don’t understand the part about running a stop sign. It looks to me like you both did that. Neither of you came to a halt at the stop sign in the beginning of the video.

Would the outcome have been any different if you had both made a full stop?