Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instant torque...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the Tesla has so much to commend itself...

The touchscreen and all the associated tech
The autopilot
The auto park
The air suspension with GPS
Free fuel superchargers and full tank each morning from home etc
The internet, spotify, tunein etc...
The comfort
The sound system
The space - internal plus boot and bonnet
The panoramic roof
Auto high beam, cornering lights, cool LEDs
The app and all that it can do
Self locking
the list goes on and on...

BUT after driving the car now for more than a year, the one thing that is forever appreciated with each and every single drive - without fail - is the instant torque from the electric motors!

In my view - this is the least spoken about feature - but the one single biggest feature that makes the feel of the electric car so different to ICE cars and is noticed every single time you put your foot on the pedal.

The times that you appreciate it, consciously or unconsciously, are as numerous as the above features...

Safely wishing to traverse a roundabout before yonder ICE car needs to slow
Safely wishing to traverse a stop sign whilst other cars are in sight
Overtaking ease
Changing lanes with ease
Making the amber light
Launch mode
Cruising with potency mode
(ok that potency quip applies even with the car parked in a garage....ie just knowing the car hops when you want it to hop but yes it applies at cruising speeds as well)
...anyway you get my point, the list goes on and on

And of course from there you can widen the feature to regen decel as well as dual motor traction etc... But I do not wish to detract from the point that I was making...

IN FACT if any of you hard core Tesla fans were ever forced to drive an ICE car again say for a week, I bet that the single biggest unpleasant feature that you would be forced to endure in driving it would be the loss of the instant torque from the electric motor...

Now tell me I'm wrong!

Now the Tesla has so much to commend itself...

the list goes on and on...

BUT after driving the car now for more than a year, the one thing that is forever appreciated with each and every single drive - without fail - is the instant torque from the electric motors!
In my view - this is the least spoken about feature - but the one single biggest feature that makes the feel of the electric car so different to ICE cars and is noticed every single time you put your foot on the pedal!
Yup, totally right, ztrekus.
It is fantastic, and so safe when performing manoeuvres on the road.
with great power comes great responsibility, and the take-off on this beast can surprise people...

Agree with all that. What's dangerous is only driving a tesla, then going interstate and hiring one of those old style noisy cars, to find it doesnt have the same instant response when needed.
Also, I think you missed a key feature; cant say I've ever before been involved with a car company that keep coming up with surprises after the sale, and who have a great team more than happy to resolve issues after the sale. Just wish their US counterparts would change a few annoying habits.

Instant or maximum torque at zero rpm is a jingle every layman loves to sing but in fact only applies to industrial motors that dont have much in the way of motor control, basically just an on off switch.
In the automotive world, Electric drives are much more complex. You will agree that any Tesla has a traction control function that limits current in a full throttle standing start condition and stops the rear tires at least from bursting into flames. I have yet to see a standard "D" spin its wheels off the mark.
Here is an excellent video of a WA built electric bike called Voltron being raced at QLD Willowbank raceway by Tim Boujos.
You will notice the ammeter on the dash peaks at about 288A but only on the back straight. Tim applies full throttle at the start but the current will only climb slowly wich is the only thing preventing the bike from doing a back flip.
The PM150 Rinehart controller on this bike will peak at 300A and you have to be doing 200kmh to get it.
Now I agree with the crux of this thread that EV's have better grunt off the line but I though I would add this just to complicate things.

It's actually my favourite safety feature of the car.
A delay in acceleration can be almost as dangerous as a delay in deceleration.
The car is simply a more precise piece of equipment, and imprecise driving is dangerous.

Well said. It's delayed response versus instant response. No contest.

And ICE cars are actually getting worse. I just bought my wife a new Range Rover Autobiography with all the fixings, because we need a vehicle that can handle our new German Shepherd as well as trips to Tahoe. We of course tried all the comparables -- Mercedes, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Ford Explorer (actually quite nice except the biggest engine is 350 HP, totally insufficient for the size), and liked the RR best. One annoying feature they all have though -- and I'd forgotten about this after two years in a Tesla -- is engine shut-off at full stop. I can't tell you how annoying that feature is, but at least in the 2016 models you can disable it. Starting in 2017 it's mandatory. Well, sorry, but I just don't trust it. I've had engines fail to turn over enough times in my life that there's no way I want the engine turning off while I'm on the road.

Last edited:
Flash you mean the ICE shuts off when the car is stopped at the lights ?
I was in traffic the other day and heard a Honda SUV's (not hybrid) engine switch off at stand still and then start up again when the traffic began moving. It sounded awkward as it wasnt a Prius type startup it was just the starter motor lugging over. Yeah that must be very annoying.
Whats also very annoying with the latest ICE vehicles is the fly by wire throttles have an engineered delayed reaction. I mean its only a split second but its infuriating.

I was in traffic the other day and heard a Honda SUV's (not hybrid) engine switch off at stand still and then start up again when the traffic began moving. It sounded awkward as it wasnt a Prius type startup it was just the starter motor lugging over. Yeah that must be very annoying.
Whats also very annoying with the latest ICE vehicles is the fly by wire throttles have an engineered delayed reaction. I mean its only a split second but its infuriating.

Yes, exactly. This new ICE regulation will inadvertently do more to help EV sales than any pro-EV initiative could hope to.

I was just about to comment that. They put the lag in so that the throttle ignores little unnecessary pulses, but when you actually need a quick response it's blocked.
Yet another intrinsic design constraint of ICE cars.