Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what we are looking for ... the front fascia T insert needs to bridge the gap between the new OEM bumper and the old OEM hood :cool:

View attachment 240788
I know what the intent is.

You missed my question. The shape of the Model X "T Insert" is a different shape than the face lifted Model S. The X has taller, more rounded insert that looks like it would come closer to filling the gap between the facelift bumper and pre-facelift hood...assuming the width is correct.

I was asking the forum if anyone has measured/looked into this before going down the road of custom made parts.

I attached a picture in my last post for comparison...
Side-by-Side-S-and-X.jpg

You didn't read my question.
Do the old parking sensors fit the new bumper?

There are at least 3 different style nosecones (possibly more, I only have 3 distinctly different ones).

1. Nosecone without parking sensors
2. Nosecone with short parking sensors
3. Nosecone with tall parking sensors

Check to be sure which sensors you have to know if they will fit the new bumper. I don't know if the new bumper has short sensors, but I suspect they do, since my 2015 nosecone has short sensors and earlier cars had long sensors... so I'm just making an educated guess the nosecone has short sensors.

Short sensors will fit in the long sensor holes with some trimming of the holes, but I don't think it will work the other way around if you have long sensors.

There are at least 3 different style nosecones (possibly more, I only have 3 distinctly different ones).

1. Nosecone without parking sensors
2. Nosecone with short parking sensors
3. Nosecone with tall parking sensors

Check to be sure which sensors you have to know if they will fit the new bumper. I don't know if the new bumper has short sensors, but I suspect they do, since my 2015 nosecone has short sensors and earlier cars had long sensors... so I'm just making an educated guess the nosecone has short sensors.

Short sensors will fit in the long sensor holes with some trimming of the holes, but I don't think it will work the other way around if you have long sensors.

Isn't the "long" part behind the nose cone and aren't the holes for all three the same size? If so it doesn't matter.

Yes, the hole diameter is the same... but the short sensors won't fit in the long sensor clips, as they are a different shape and have the short sensors won't go down far enough in the hole without trimming a fair portion of the long sensor clips off.

My current nose cone that I experiment with wrapping jobs on is a long sensor version, but my car is a short sensor car, so I had to trim the retainers on the nosecone to make them fit. It's not hard... but I'm not sure you can go the other way, using the long sensors in a short clip nosecone, as they would then not have any retaining mechanism and would work their way back in to the nosecone.

Yes, the hole diameter is the same... but the short sensors won't fit in the long sensor clips, as they are a different shape and have the short sensors won't go down far enough in the hole without trimming a fair portion of the long sensor clips off.

My current nose cone that I experiment with wrapping jobs on is a long sensor version, but my car is a short sensor car, so I had to trim the retainers on the nosecone to make them fit. It's not hard... but I'm not sure you can go the other way, using the long sensors in a short clip nosecone, as they would then not have any retaining mechanism and would work their way back in to the nosecone.

Hopefully my body shop can rig them on somehow.

Any way to know what sensors you have without taking the bumper off?

Regarding the sensor brackets. Firstly, most body shops should be able to get old ones off using a heat gun. Second, Tesla sells these brackets - they are, in Australia, $8 each, and you need 6 for the front bumper. They may be different shapes in the different locations. I have just ordered some to fit the Unplugged front fascia to my car. So, provided the technology behind the short and long sensors is the same ( I have no idea), one way or the other, you will be able to physically fit either. A heat gun will damage the paint, but that simply means a respray.

If update questions relate to development of the part that will fill the underbit gap when a facelift bumper is attached to a nose one frame, please bear in mind that my car has been in the shop until the end of June re repairs resulting from a rear ender at a stop light by a driver who was texting when she hit me. So the update it this: the project goes nowhere until I get my car back. Likely that willl be next week.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If update questions relate to development of the part that will fill the underbit gap when a facelift bumper is attached to a nose one frame, please bear in mind that my car has been in the shop until the end of June re repairs resulting from a rear ender at a stop light by a driver who was texting when she hit me. So the update it this: the project goes nowhere until I get my car back. Likely that willl be next week.

Yikes! Sorry to hear that...

Good luck getting the car back and in tip top shape.
Keep us updated as this tread is one of my favorites and looking to see what it takes before taking another loan out on a Unplugged Bumper refresh...
I guess that depends on your location. If Unplugged do it for you, no big deal and probably done over a couple of days. One to paint and second to fit. If you are in Australia, it has now been two WEEKS!!! I MIGHT get my car back late Monday. Everything has been an issue, from small imperfections in the bumper itself, to needing special plasticisers for the paint and clear coat due to soft malleable plastic, to requiring a new sensor since one was inexplicably broken ( although electrically working). Each of these items has delayed the project by at least a day or even two. This in a car that had zero damage to begin with!! Also, and I have no idea how it works in the USA, but body shops don't like private work, greatly preferring insurance work ( crashes etc.). They also don't want to do non routine work, so they fit the job in when their guys might have some down time. Delays things dramatically. The fascia was painted early Friday afternoon. I actually went to shop and insisted on actually seeing the job to confirm it had been done. Now it simply needs to be fitted out from the old fascia ( fog lights, vents, grille, sensors, and put back on the car. I reckon it would take me personally maybe 2 hours from this point, but they refuse to guarantee delivery on Monday. Probably because the workman might be deployed elsewhere..... sigh.sigh...
Am heartily sick of driving my wife's Honda Accord..... the noise, the lack of power oh oh oh.....

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Visited the shop (SDR) finishing the work and learned that they need a new harness for the rear parking sensor. My rear bumper had to be replaced and Tesla, for reasons known only to them, increased the spacing between the sensor holes -- thus the need for a new harness. SDR also asked me to come in Monday am to work with the tech rewiring everything -- as there are no instructions from Tesla for my mods, and the tech needs advice for rewiring the rear lighted appliqué and rear lighted T.

Fingers crossed that I'll get my car back before the end of the week: I've been without it now since the end of June. As soon as I get it back it goes to a wrap place to have all of the chrome blacked out.

Also will have a few other mods to show when the work it done -- the most interesting I suppose is a rear touchscreen that will enable passengers in the back to watch movies, watch or read the news, surf the web, or whatever. If everything works out it will be an 12.9 inch iPad pro integrated into the back of the center console. With one grandchild and two on the way (twins that should be born next week) I figure I'll have a full complement of grandchildren riding in the back.

Will the ipad have its own cellular connection to pull content?

Separate question. I saw where someone asked you if you were adding RFS, and you said no. Now, I wonder why not - because you are gonna have a car full. (After all gives you an excuse to do another project and find ways to make it better than Tesla did.) And if you added RFS would you come up with a way (new three way front cam switch) to add a camera to the rear trunk to see the kids in the RFS?

Speaking of which. Can you comment on status of new batch of front cam switches? Reason I ask, when I show mine off to people, they always want one. Then the bad news - there are none.

Will the ipad have its own cellular connection to pull content?

Separate question. I saw where someone asked you if you were adding RFS, and you said no. Now, I wonder why not - because you are gonna have a car full. (After all gives you an excuse to do another project and find ways to make it better than Tesla did.) And if you added RFS would you come up with a way (new three way front cam switch) to add a camera to the rear trunk to see the kids in the RFS?

Speaking of which. Can you comment on status of new batch of front cam switches? Reason I ask, when I show mine off to people, they always want one. Then the bad news - there are none.

Steve,

I already have a ZTE Mobley (AT&T) in the car, so yes, there will be a cellular connection. But I'll also have a number of popular movies and some kids stuff in memory.

I may change my mind about the RFS when I see how it goes with all of the grandkids I'll soon have. The three year old doesn't ride with me now but once she gets past carseat age she'll be with me as much as I can arrange.

As far as the camera switch is concerned a few PCB manufacturers have turn me down (probably the volume is too low) but I'm going to try to make other arrangements this week.