Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect, really well done!!Amazing job!
Besides the five week work( i 'll be going nuts five wk without it ..commuting which means impossible 4 me) but if I may;
....for the total of $$$?

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_23991.JPG
[/QUOTE]

The car is still in the shop as they figure out how to accommodate a facelift hood on a nosecone car. The facelift hood has been mounted on my car, but there are several problems that have to be addressed.

So as I read through this entire thread I just become more and more convinced that by the time this is finished you will have replaced every single part in your car and just have a stock facelift car in the end;)

It seems like you started with the bumper and a few other facelift parts and soon realized that you need another facelift part to make those work, then a few days after that you need another facelift part to make the new facelift parts work.

Guess this is one way to get a new car;)

So as I read through this entire thread I just become more and more convinced that by the time this is finished you will have replaced every single part in your car and just have a stock facelift car in the end;)

It seems like you started with the bumper and a few other facelift parts and soon realized that you need another facelift part to make those work, then a few days after that you need another facelift part to make the new facelift parts work.

Guess this is one way to get a new car;)

One problem begets another until they're all solved:)

The most important thing I've learnt is to do it, but to do it only if my car is in a front end crash and all those parts need to be replaced anyway

Yes, but with minor damage to the core support part and nosecone bumper. More serious damage to the frame would not be good. Never thought I could be lucky enough to be in a fender bender that damaged my car.

Looks like the job will be finally finished when I return home from Europe on Sunday. The completion of the frunk trim and hood seal was delayed by lack of availability/slow delivery of Tesla parts, so I haven't had the use of the frunk for since all of the exterior work was completed more than a month ago. A new fiberglass edge was added to the frunk trim to hold the rubber hood seal (it's not attached to the underside of the new facelift hood). Also the new frunk trim panels for both sides and the lower edge were modified and added. I'll shoot and post some photos of the completed work when I return home.

I want to start by thanking you for all the hard work and posts you've been doing.

Sooooo... I was involved in a front end accident that damaged , nose cone, hood, front bumper and some parts behind the nosecone.

I decided to go with the changes to the front fascia like yourself on my 2013 Black P85.

My body shop ordered and received the parts (think I'm missing some minor parts) and will begin assembly.

Could you please post the inside of your frunk with hood open especially the latch area to see how it looks.

Also ... would your shop that made the custom latch pieces be willing to make some more and I'll pay for parts and shipping to Canada? That looks to be the biggest concern. And the fibreglass trim around the frunk.

If you want you can pm me and I can call you or the shop.

Much appreciated :)

I want to start by thanking you for all the hard work and posts you've been doing.
Sooooo... I was involved in a front end accident that damaged , nose cone, hood, front bumper and some parts behind the nosecone.
I decided to go with the changes to the front fascia like yourself on my 2013 Black P85.
My body shop ordered and received the parts (think I'm missing some minor parts) and will begin assembly.
Could you please post the inside of your frunk with hood open especially the latch area to see how it looks.
Also ... would your shop that made the custom latch pieces be willing to make some more and I'll pay for parts and shipping to Canada? That looks to be the biggest concern. And the fibreglass trim around the frunk.
If you want you can pm me and I can call you or the shop. Much appreciated :)

You may want to consider another option ... retain the OEM hood and frunk trim and just fabricate the custom T-Badge support ... see below :cool:

It was to close the gap but when I made the decision I didn't anticipate the complexity of it all. With the benefit of hindsight it may have been better to fabricate a modified TESLA BADGE 'T'-FRONT SUPPORT, which is the source of the gap, and stay with the original hood. It wouldn't look OEM but the difference would not have been noticed by most.

Agreed. This is exactly the route that the aftermarket vendors followed with a new T badge grill to bridge the gap between the original hood and facelift bumper. I really hope someone with a 3-D printer can produce the T-grill for the DIY project person - sounds like a great business opportunity.
upload_2017-3-7_20-32-5-png.217671

We're looking into manufacturing such a part.

Flatsix911 , I saw that option.

2 things :

1- my body shop already ordered and received the new hood.

2- I prefer the new hood over old even though change is very subtle.

In the end making a custome T badge may be just as much work, if not more, than a custom latch.

If you want you can pm me and I can call you or the shop.

Much appreciated :)

Just PM'd you.

Hi @artsci,

How far have you come in the process to make the custom T trim?

I would really consider this but only if I can retain the hood, latch, drunk trims etc. Also, it would be reversible.

Unplugged have been uncooperative in terms of offering me a viable solution installed in the UK and they maintain the position that they fabricated all parts involved in their facelift upgrade. I simply don't believe it.

Cheers!

Hi @artsci,

How far have you come in the process to make the custom T trim?

I would really consider this but only if I can retain the hood, latch, drunk trims etc. Also, it would be reversible.

Unplugged have been uncooperative in terms of offering me a viable solution installed in the UK and they maintain the position that they fabricated all parts involved in their facelift upgrade. I simply don't believe it.

Cheers!

As my time and attention has been focused on development of the lighted front Ts for the X and facelift S, not very far. Consider your post an incentive for me to get this rolling.