Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm thinking that my next project will be the OEM refresh bumper install and I just want to make sure I'm caught up in the status of this project being feasible.
Summary:
Using all OEM parts, it works but there needs to be some modification/cutting to fit the fog lights? There is also a gap with the original hood but using a refresh hood creates way more work than it's worth. So artsci is working on a custom T trim piece that will close this gap.

Am I missing anything else? Any other modifications or custom parts? Anyone have a picture of how big this gap with original hood really is?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
So I'm thinking that my next project will be the OEM refresh bumper install and I just want to make sure I'm caught up in the status of this project being feasible.
Summary:
Using all OEM parts, it works but there needs to be some modification/cutting to fit the fog lights? There is also a gap with the original hood but using a refresh hood creates way more work than it's worth. So artsci is working on a custom T trim piece that will close this gap.

Am I missing anything else? Any other modifications or custom parts? Anyone have a picture of how big this gap with original hood really is?

Thanks

Based on my experience I really woudn’t do this, even though it is feasible. If SDR had installed the new fascia support frame, mods to the fog lamp area of the fascia would not have been necessary. And I’ve made no progress on the custom T trim piece. I recommend you go with the Unplugged Performance version. That will save you a lot of trouble and cost less.

Based on my experience I really woudn’t do this, even though it is feasible. If SDR had installed the new fascia support frame, mods to the fog lamp area of the fascia would not have been necessary. And I’ve made no progress on the custom T trim piece. I recommend you go with the Unplugged Performance version. That will save you a lot of trouble and cost less.
Thanks for the info. I can't believe they changed so many things just to refresh the bumper!
I may do this and help figure out a custom T piece myself. I have some fiberglass and carbon fiber laying experience.
My biggest problem is I use the car daily and the closest SC is 3 hours away so I can't just piece it as I go :(
Is the parts list on the first page up to date or should I gather all the parts you need throughout all the posts? I would need to do a 1 shot order for all the parts and go get them.

That's really too bad. I will also find a custom solution locally.

If you weree to do it again you would go with unplugged version or similar?

Quick question. With swapping the hood.. why was it so difficult to make it work? Could you just cut off the old hood latch (male end)and weld it to the new hood... rather than modify the female end?

Does the extra one inch or two in length really make that much of a difference with clearance?