Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 38348CD0-B42C-4CB9-AB37-B0CBC8822EF2.jpeg
    38348CD0-B42C-4CB9-AB37-B0CBC8822EF2.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 463
  • A87303D1-4A6E-4C8C-9FF5-C85613BAB7DA.jpeg
    A87303D1-4A6E-4C8C-9FF5-C85613BAB7DA.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 414
Hi,

I have a P85D that I am hoping to do an OEM bumper + hood refresh on. I feel mostly confident about the bumper portion, but I have always seen some custom work to make the new hood work well. My main concern is with water intrusion (my car has already had a fun history of that). I am wondering if I can keep the old frunk and trim and put seals on the bottom of the hood itself (like, around the perimeter of the hood). I expect to have to do something custom either with the hood latch or striker.

I am attaching a spreadsheet with a list of parts I have gathered from previous posts. Part numbers have been updated to reflect the most current revision available. I believe this is everything I need, but I would love for you to double-check it.

I am primarily concerned about the new ankle catcher and undertray/valence. Was this necessary for any of you who did the bumper replacement?
To avoid cutting the bumper, do I need new louvres AND fog lights? Just louvres?

Thanks.

Alpha, I have done multiple conversions and you don’t need to change the ankle catcher , the new undertray lines up perfect with the existing holes and new bumper once you remove the old one. If you want to avoid cutting the bumper you just need louvers but I went the cutting route and kept the original hood and only angled the emblem to help with the curvature since the hood is shorter. It’s a preference I guess and it doesn’t bother me at all looks good in my opinion.

Attachments

• B31DFCEB-5E86-4988-989E-882D8EC5D571.jpeg
    B31DFCEB-5E86-4988-989E-882D8EC5D571.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 294D9621-8D49-4E48-A9FF-59A35542314A.jpeg
    294D9621-8D49-4E48-A9FF-59A35542314A.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 429
Reactions: BobbyMartin
Hi,

I have a P85D that I am hoping to do an OEM bumper + hood refresh on. I feel mostly confident about the bumper portion, but I have always seen some custom work to make the new hood work well. My main concern is with water intrusion (my car has already had a fun history of that). I am wondering if I can keep the old frunk and trim and put seals on the bottom of the hood itself (like, around the perimeter of the hood). I expect to have to do something custom either with the hood latch or striker.

I am attaching a spreadsheet with a list of parts I have gathered from previous posts. Part numbers have been updated to reflect the most current revision available. I believe this is everything I need, but I would love for you to double-check it.

I am primarily concerned about the new ankle catcher and undertray/valence. Was this necessary for any of you who did the bumper replacement?
To avoid cutting the bumper, do I need new louvres AND fog lights? Just louvres?

Thanks.
You need the new louvers if you dont want to cut the bumper. The old fog light still works with the new refresh bumper.

Alpha, I have done multiple conversions and you don’t need to change the ankle catcher , the new undertray lines up perfect with the existing holes and new bumper once you remove the old one. If you want to avoid cutting the bumper you just need louvers but I went the cutting route and kept the original hood and only angled the emblem to help with the curvature since the hood is shorter. It’s a preference I guess and it doesn’t bother me at all looks good in my opinion.

Do you still have a gap between the grill and the hood? Do you need a gap filler? I make them so PM me if needed.

A very instructive thread; the most important lesson I've learned from it is not to do it!
Actually, the only thing that was proven is how easy it is/would be. New bumper, new hood, customized hood latch (which is now sold ready-made as a double latch to bolt-on to a refreshed hood) and some additional sealing rubber for the inner part of the hood to butt up against the existing trim of the trunk. I’m literally about to jump in and do this and will document every step. Trying to make it. As simple as i see it to be.

i just bought the lower skid plate (plastic under car) cost about $280. I thats the place of the 2 plastic pieces in the old bumper version. Meaning you will remove old bumper with front lower plastic attached and then the one farther back (under car) and the new one will take their place.
Where did you buy this part from (1056376-00-C) Im looking and its out of stock everywhere...

After reading all 21 pages, do you know if anybody has already considered an aluminium hood extension (welded) ?
I can't stop thinking that it could be a suitable solution for anybody who really want an OEM look :
1 - Adapt a facelift fascia (bumper cut, etc ...)
2 - Extended hood to match the new T badge position
Don't you think that a good body shop can do it using an pre-facelift hood and a lot of photos ?

I thought I saw some where welded a extra little piece on the hood to exend it, but honestly wasn’t that appealing. Just my personal opinion, but give it a shot if it will work for you. You might do something different. But from what I remembered the weld line looked too visible.

I thought I saw some where welded a extra little piece on the hood to exend it, but honestly wasn’t that appealing. Just my personal opinion, but give it a shot if it will work for you. You might do something different. But from what I remembered the weld line looked too visible.
After reading all 21 pages, do you know if anybody has already considered an aluminium hood extension (welded) ?
I can't stop thinking that it could be a suitable solution for anybody who really want an OEM look :
1 - Adapt a facelift fascia (bumper cut, etc ...)
2 - Extended hood to match the new T badge position
Don't you think that a good body shop can do it using an pre-facelift hood and a lot of photos ?

I would think it would look better and be cost effective to buy a facelift hood than Frankenstein the factory hood. Then you can always sell the stock hood to recoup some of the cost

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread or to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know an installer that would do this anywhere in the EU? I would provide the parts, but would rather have someone else handle the installation if possible. I don't mind giving it a go, but if I mess it all up, nice to have a professional ready :)

Hi i'm looking to upgrade the bumper on my 2012 p85 and could use some help. Can you give me a call 302 218 8048

This thread has saved me from thinking this was a simple swap. Thanks for the details and education. Hoping there are solutions to the tow eye issue such as a hole and plug? Also has anyone tried to use a facelift badge base (the chrome trim under the badge) with the top section of a nose cone adapted to it in order to match the old hood?

My facelift parts are on order and will not be using the new hood. Your progress will help me tremendously. Looking forward to learning what you did and how you did it.
I made a carbon / resin hoop lip to make up the difference. As ts a aluminum hood i didnt want to get into cutting welding etc. Also the ones i have seen wit a replacement hood then didnt align with the frunk / had to make a customer latch.