Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instructions to remove left B-pillar trim / headliner? Hunting a rattle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dear community
My hearing is very sensitive, especially so on the left side. My car seems to have developed a light rattle noise in the left B-pillar or the headliner area just above it. It's a plasticky noise, actually just loud enough to annoy me on longer motorway journeys. Since I do quite a lot of those, I'd love to have a look at it.
If I push the headliner in, just above the B-pillar, I can usually shut it up for a couple of minutes.
Are there readily available instructions on how to remove the B-pillar trim and the headliner?
Thank you!

You might be able to hunt down the rattle without fully removing the headliner. Try just removing the weather stripping around the door and you can see/reach inside.
Example in this video:
Thank you very much for this video, the way he describes the rattle is very similar to how I would describe mine. I hope that's exactly what I'm hearing and I can solve it like shown in the video. I'll report back!

Not positive this is still free, but you can make an account on Tesla Service and get access to the service manuals directly.

These have good walkthroughs for any given service type, and include removing trim.
I remember Tesla making those files accessible for free, I think I even subscribed to the free offering as they first launched it. Maybe it still works, I'll have a look!

Thank you very much for this video, the way he describes the rattle is very similar to how I would describe mine. I hope that's exactly what I'm hearing and I can solve it like shown in the video. I'll report back!

I remember Tesla making those files accessible for free, I think I even subscribed to the free offering as they first launched it. Maybe it still works, I'll have a look!
Hi @cappo3, where you successful in resolving rattle?

Hi @cappo3, were you successful in resolving rattle

Hi @cappo3, were you successful in resolving rattle
Hey @g_man28, I did not see the notification.
I was able to locate the source of the rattle, the b-pillar cover's plastic structure sits directly against the metal of the body and rattled away. I was able to fit a piece of fabric in between plastic and metal (it wasn't easy though) at a charging stop, since it was driving me crazy.
While that was solved, even if not perfectly, the peace did not last. I now have a light knocking noise coming from the left A-pillar, which is immensely annoying because of the somewhat regular rhythm... I think it's a lost war, this one.