Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Bubble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My driver instrument cluster has a bubble in it (March 2015 RWD). I understand that this is a known issue that develops over time and the only way to fix it is to replace it. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on:

- Which instrument cluster version do I replace it with? GEN1 vs GEN2?
- Is any kind of reprogramming required? If so how is that performed?
- Any docs, videos, etc. that help with the process

Thanks in advance!

In the past week, our bubbles grew exponentially so have to finally resolve this...

I've seen posts describing three methods for resolution:

Option A: Remove glass and clean yourself (Instrument Cluster Bubbling/Dripping Glue FIX) - cost of tools/expendables, messiest, most time, most risky (damaging LCD and/or glass)

Option B: Order non-bubbled IC and swap IC motherboards (Replacing instrument cluster) - cost of new display ($300ish per today's eBay), time/risk associated with dash/trim removal

Option C: Tesla service replaces IC - cost based on Tesla quote of the day, $1600ish. Mobile Ranger capable or service center required?

Is my summary correct? Any other options I should be looking at?

I removed my IC , separated the glass and scraped off all of the adhesive, reassembled and it has been working fine ever since. That was over a year ago

What would you say was the total turnaround time?

When I presented the options to my wife (its her daily driver), she initially said "I'll pay the money to have Tesla do it to avoid you cursing at the car for hours." Hopefully it being less of a time suck can help convince her otherwise.

What would you say was the total turnaround time?

When I presented the options to my wife (its her daily driver), she initially said "I'll pay the money to have Tesla do it to avoid you cursing at the car for hours." Hopefully it being less of a time suck can help convince her otherwise.
It takes all day, I call the adhesive "Devil's Snot" it is hard to remove. I used a plastic scraper, adhesive remover with rubbing alcohol.

How would one go about to do this? Any DIY tips, please?
I haven't done it yet. Will do it when I open the dash up for eMMC replacement. It is easy to remove with the dash already open. Have already done it before for LTE upgrade. Also refer to this excellent thread by @Shadious Replacing instrument cluster when I do it. Basically once the IC is out, I plan to take the screen off the IC body/circuit and use epoxy on the edges. It won't fix the bubble that's already there, but should prevent further damage.

Just waiting for the COVID situation to slow down before I open it and reach out to wk057's shop (if open) for the eMMC replacement.