Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument cluster cycles while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday afternoon, I took my 2013 Model S for a short (5 min) drive. Sitting that time the heads up display/instrument cluster cycled through the startup sequence once every min (+/-). The speedometer would disappear to display the parked car, the gear indicator shower Car Off, then all of the warning lights would flash (like when you turn the car on), the speedometer would return and show my cheng speed.

The controls on the steering wheel were unresponsive or responded with a lag. For example, I tried to open the sun roof with the scroll wheel, it opened after a long pause, then the roof shut to a seemingly random stopping point 30 secs later.

I've had issues with sections of the heads up display before, a few days go by and issues seem to be resolved behind the scenes. Had anyone had issues like I described on an older Model S?
Screenshot_20230414-135941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230414-135948_Gallery.jpg

If problems continue and you conclude the Instrument cluster is failing, consider an MCU2 retrofit. It includes a new Instrument cluster and may be cheaper to do the retrofit than install a replacement instrument cluster. The new retrofit displays have better contrast and resolution too.

Upvote 0
Yesterday afternoon, I took my 2013 Model S for a short (5 min) drive. Sitting that time the heads up display/instrument cluster cycled through the startup sequence once every min (+/-). The speedometer would disappear to display the parked car, the gear indicator shower Car Off, then all of the warning lights would flash (like when you turn the car on), the speedometer would return and show my cheng speed.

The controls on the steering wheel were unresponsive or responded with a lag. For example, I tried to open the sun roof with the scroll wheel, it opened after a long pause, then the roof shut to a seemingly random stopping point 30 secs later.

I've had issues with sections of the heads up display before, a few days go by and issues seem to be resolved behind the scenes. Had anyone had issues like I described on an older Model S?
View attachment 928401View attachment 928403
Well, this is weird. My 2012 85 in the same color and same interior had the same instrument cluster cycling issue on Friday morning (4/14). Rebooted the screens and it resolved. The evening before, I had a TPMS error so I added some air to the affected tire. The next time I drove the car, the IC cycling behavior started. I thought it was due to the error code getting hung in the system or something. Can't say if it happened again because I traded her in for a new Model S LR on Saturday. My actual first thought when I saw the IC cycling was "She knows she's getting traded in!" We had a good talk and parted on good terms.

Upvote 0
I have upgraded to MCU 2 in my 2014 S P85, but still have to reboot my IC and Big screen occasionally, especially in the Summer, and sometimes while driving (Press and hold both wheel buttons).

2weeks ago, the key fob battery warning came on. I immediately replaced batteries in both fobs.
The warning is still on. Anyone know how to get rid of it?
Thanks to all!!

Upvote 0