Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Display Freeze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on the old version. Had some pretty heinous artifacts on the instrument cluster. Nothing frozen yet. Had to reboot it.

IMG_0573.JPG

Do you still call him George, or did you rename him HAL...:wink:

Very scary...it'd be tough to ever trust it again.

Wow, I skeptical at best when I read this story, but after doing a quick search, I found Aeroflot Flight 593 - Wikipedia with a description of the full sequence of events.

In my event yesterday, the car continued to run normally and all control inputs and responses were normal; it was only a frozen Instrument Cluster Display. In fact, I pulled up info on the center 17" display that confirmed this. However, because the S is a fly by wire machine, I do hope that the basic control functions have a lot of redundancy. Also, I would hope that the steering and mechanical brakes will revert back to complete manual mode. Does anyone know the details of these fall back modes?

I was flying my Cessna 310 over the Sierras many years ago on auto-pilot when George (our name for the auto-pilot, short for Gyro George), started an uncommanded bank and descent. I grabbed the controls and (as designed) was able to overpower George. I tried disengaging the auto-pilot, but nothing worked. My friend in the right seat was also a pilot. I had him fight George as I tried to disengage the auto-pilot in multiple ways. Finally, I pulled the auto-pilot circuit breaker and George gave up. George is a 70's vintage analog auto-pilot, who usually works great. We were never able to recreate this problem, but we certainly monitor George carefully to this day...

> Since no-one on the plane survived, how did they construct the narrative about the daughter getting bored, etc.? [smorgasbord]

Weight (of kids) on pilot's chair vs time frame probably on flight recorder. You know, that should have been a clue to System sufficient NOT to continue w/o audible alarms. System knew weight of both pilots; anyone else should have raised a flag. Like Subaru Forester auto-disables passenger air bag for my 35 pound dog.
--

-- support Wikipedia !! --

[we're all Bozos on this Bus]

Since no-one on the plane survived, how did they construct the narrative about the daughter getting bored, etc.?

Probably from the cockpit voice recorder.

As for the instrument panel and large display, I hope their microprocessors have software watchdog circuits, like the micro controllers used for automotive electronic controls. Tesla would just need to enable them in a firmware update, and they will automatically reboot the display when it freezes. At least that way the driver doesn't have to know the procedure for a manual reboot, and even if he/she does, is distracted less.

Of course, Tesla still needs to find the root cause(s) and fix them as well, since customers don't want their display to reboot every so often either.

GSP

I was on your version, but it just updated to 1.13.16 and the techs told me it should have fixed it. They claim it only happens while using nav and cruise control at the same time...that must be why we were the only ones seeing it... Would you mind sharing your real name in a private MSG? The techs were asking me and I gave them your screen name...

Anyone else have a problem where the speed read-out does not change at all- at a speed other than 0? [...]

If I understand this correctly, then everyone should do the update (to 1.13.16+), as that should fix it.