Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Display Laggy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have noticed, especially when the navigation mini map is up, that my instrument display get very slow to refresh. As well steering wheel controls become very unresponsive when the screen is bogged down. If I stop navigation it immediately gets better otherwise it will waffle between being normal and up to 3 seconds behind.

Last time I took the car in for service I asked they look at it, but they said it all tested out to specification.

There are some threads about this issue, but on much older firmware. So I am curious if anyone else has these issues or if my display is just not quite right.

So I have noticed, especially when the navigation mini map is up, that my instrument display get very slow to refresh. As well steering wheel controls become very unresponsive when the screen is bogged down. If I stop navigation it immediately gets better otherwise it will waffle between being normal and up to 3 seconds behind.

Last time I took the car in for service I asked they look at it, but they said it all tested out to specification.

There are some threads about this issue, but on much older firmware. So I am curious if anyone else has these issues or if my display is just not quite right.

I have not noticed this, but I will pay closer attention on my way to class today.

I have noticed this lately. I wasn't sure of the circumstances (NAV active or not) but I have occasionally noticed the entire dash seems "jerky" (including the power and regen displays).

Next time I see it I will take note as to whether or not I have an active route in the NAV. I don't think it happens every time I have a destination programed but if I see it again I will cancel the NAV route and see if it goes away.

Mike

I've noticed this too since the 6.1 updates came out. Rebooting the instrument cluster seems to fix it for a few days. I mostly notice it on the speed / power usage meter.

I have rebooted a few times, both before and during navigation. The issue is resolved for a short time, however will return rather quickly.

I am just glad I am not the only one. At first I thought I was turning the volume control too fast...

i have also noticed this in recent weeks, though i only had the car for about two weeks before 6.1 came out, so it may have been there previously.

- Nav Map on the dashboard slows the whole display down, including regen green meter and right-side menu scrolling.
- hiding the Nav Map from the left helps or fixes the issue

I noticed it in a P85 loaner (5xxxx VIN) that I had the other day. I just chalked it up to being the new generation displays vs. my Signature-generation display. 6.1 has no lag for my car.

I noticed in 6.1 115 when I first get in the car there is a lag in the display coming on.

It's not the lag in the display coming on (everyone gets that when the car goes to sleep), it's the lag in the read-out. On my Signature car, when you take your foot off the go pedal, it updates immediately with the power meter swinging down toward regen. On the loaner, it would hold for a bit, then "jump" to regen. Best way to describe it would be that it's like watching the same video, one at 30 fps and the other at 10 fps.

I have noticed this in my P85. While running nav, the right wide steering controls (typically I'm switching media source) will become laggy to the point of irritation (scroll wheel tick is ignored, then jumps 2 clicks, etc).

I have a 51xxx VIN.

All of what's been described sounds like what I'm occasionally seeing too.

This smells of either inadequate processing power (hardware) to handle the graphics and programming or software that has gotten bloated with the continuing addition of "features" (or maybe some of both). I hope it is more of a software bloat issue that can be remedied with some cleanup or optimization otherwise it may continue to deteriorate with subsequent firmware releases.

Another data point... some time last year Tesla switched over to a higher density pixel display for the speedo. It has double or quadruple the number of pixels of the previous display. I wonder if that has anything to do with it, and if those with the lag have the new type of screens?

Another data point... some time last year Tesla switched over to a higher density pixel display for the speedo. It has double or quadruple the number of pixels of the previous display. I wonder if that has anything to do with it, and if those with the lag have the new type of screens?

That's what I was assuming.

With 35k miles driving on a low res cluster and 8k on a high res cluster, the high res are definitely just a tad more laggy. But I haven't noticed a slowdown on the instrument cluster with 6.1. Lately my touchscreen has been laggy. It hasn't been restarted since I installed 6.1., but I definitely think Tesla should clean house a bit and try to optimize to speed things up a bit with both displays.

A few of us discussed this in a separate thread last year at the time of the high-res dash display change. At that time, I got a loaner car with the new display and the power meter movement was definitely jerky and stuttered. Low res display in my car is smooth. But image sharpness is really nice on the new screens.

A few of us discussed this in a separate thread last year at the time of the high-res dash display change. At that time, I got a loaner car with the new display and the power meter movement was definitely jerky and stuttered. Low res display in my car is smooth. But image sharpness is really nice on the new screens.

I just want to clarify from one of my earlier posts. Normally the instrument cluster is very responsive with no noticeable lag or stuttering, I have the hi-res display. Once in a while, it gets laggy/choppy, it behaves as if the GPU is overloaded and frame rates are dropping. A reboot of the instrument cluster fixes it for a few days.