Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster display persistence while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep my Model X in the garage and while it's in there it's unlocked. I have noticed that when I charge it, once charging is complete the instrument cluster display comes on and stays on. Yesterday when I unplugged to go to lunch in the darkness of the garage I could see a persistent image of the range in the middle of the display. It first looked like burn-in but it disappeared after driving it a few miles. Because of this I suspect the IC display may be OLED and not traditional LCD/TFT since I've seen this behavior before with other OLED displays. The display stays on even when I go into the garage without the key. I have auto-present door turned off, energy saver is off, range mode is off and Always Connected is on.

Other than locking the car in my garage is there any way to change this behavior so that the displays stay off? I don't like that the display stays on all night while the car is plugged in and fully charged.

Are you sure keys are far enough away? I suspect you'd notice the car waking up in some other way, but this seems weird that the display is on all the time when charging... I thought the charging display (for one, around the charging cable) and everything else went to sleep after a set time...

This isn't too unusual. LCD panels, depending on the underlying technology, absolutely has an image persistence (ghosting) effect. This is a separate phenomenon from OLED "burn-in" which is permanent in nature.

I see it on my desktop computers too, especially when sitting at an OS installer dialog for a prolonged period of time and then trying to display a light gray uniform background.

(Note that LCD panels can also accumulate charge after an improper shutdown such as a hard freeze. This can result in a more severe ghosting or even flickering appearance for a few minutes after rebooting. It's also temporary in nature, though it will freak you out into thinking the screen is busted)

Source: I work on LCD panel drivers all day long.

Are you sure keys are far enough away? I suspect you'd notice the car waking up in some other way, but this seems weird that the display is on all the time when charging... I thought the charging display (for one, around the charging cable) and everything else went to sleep after a set time...

Keys are on the other side of the house, and it's not on while charging, but when charging is complete it comes on. I haven't witnessed it but everytime I go out to the car (keys or not) when it's fully charged when I open the garage/house door to a dark garage I can see the charge port solid green and the IC is lit up inside the car. Those and the HPWC green LED are the only lights in the garage. Keep in mind that the car is unlocked while all this is happening. When the car is locked all the lights eventually turn off so the car doesn't attract attention while charging.

This isn't too unusual. LCD panels, depending on the underlying technology, absolutely has an image persistence (ghosting) effect. This is a separate phenomenon from OLED "burn-in" which is permanent in nature.

I see it on my desktop computers too, especially when sitting at an OS installer dialog for a prolonged period of time and then trying to display a light gray uniform background.

(Note that LCD panels can also accumulate charge after an improper shutdown such as a hard freeze. This can result in a more severe ghosting or even flickering appearance for a few minutes after rebooting. It's also temporary in nature, though it will freak you out into thinking the screen is busted)

Source: I work on LCD panel drivers all day long.

This is actually great to hear. Even though I've witnessed it once I shouldn't worry too much about it. If the screen does start to burn-in and the image becomes permanent I'll get Tesla involved immediately.

Keys are on the other side of the house, and it's not on while charging, but when charging is complete it comes on. I haven't witnessed it but everytime I go out to the car (keys or not) when it's fully charged when I open the garage/house door to a dark garage I can see the charge port solid green and the IC is lit up inside the car. Those and the HPWC green LED are the only lights in the garage. Keep in mind that the car is unlocked while all this is happening. When the car is locked all the lights eventually turn off so the car doesn't attract attention while charging.
Gotcha, I thought you meant it was on all the time. And if the keys were 'away' I thought the car would lock... so, it's not as bad as we thought. :D

Gotcha, I thought you meant it was on all the time. And if the keys were 'away' I thought the car would lock... so, it's not as bad as we thought. :D

FWIW, I can't help but notice that unless "Energy Saving" is turned on, most of the time the IC doesn't actually turn the panel off; it simply turns the backlight off (presumably for faster display-on times…. cheaters.)

If that's the case, you'll still get ghosting / image persistence because that has nothing to do with whether or not the backlight is on. Since the charging screen just draws that huge battery in the middle of the screen, it's ripe for ghosting.

I turned off "walk away locking" because I look stupid backing away from the car waiting for it to lock..like a bad western gunslinger waitin' to DRAW. I just lock it myself from the fob. :D
If it beeped when it locked I would turn it back on in a heartbeat, but with only the folding mirrors as proof that it's locked (if you miss the blinking lights) I frequently get out my phone and check it on the app to make sure it's locked.

Reactions: boaterva
Maybe turn energy saver on?

FWIW, I can't help but notice that unless "Energy Saving" is turned on, most of the time the IC doesn't actually turn the panel off; it simply turns the backlight off (presumably for faster display-on times…. cheaters.)

If that's the case, you'll still get ghosting / image persistence because that has nothing to do with whether or not the backlight is on. Since the charging screen just draws that huge battery in the middle of the screen, it's ripe for ghosting.

You guys were right. When I went out yesterday I turned on Energy Saver and turned off Cabin Overheat Protection. That not only brought my vampire drain from 12-15 miles a day down to 1-2 miles a day, but I just went out in the dark garage and the charge port is off and the IC display is off even though the car is unlocked and plugged in. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. :D