TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Instrument cluster fan replacement

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 132, May 20, 2017.

1. 132

132 Member

I suspected that the fan that cools the chip on the instrument cluster was making a large amount of noise.
    When I the car in for a separate minor issue and air bag recall I had them check it out.

Yes it's the fan, but they only will replace the entire module...at $1000.

I know from experience that processor fans are inexpensive and ridiculously easy to swap.

Having to replace the entire cluster is simply excessively wasteful.

Anyone here have experience pulling the cluster.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

If the fan is noisy, does that mean it is still running and not dead just yet?

Why pay $1,000 to replace a running fan?

3. 132

132 Member

Yes it is still running, but when fans get progressively more noisy it is a sign of imminent failure. Then I will definitely have to replace the entire cluster as the chip it's cooling could fry.

Yes it is really really noisy. So noisy sometimes you can hear it over the sound system playing at a high level. It's also a bit embarrassing, even more so for Tesla. " Yes Jim, I know it's a $110k car, but what's the big deal about having to talk really loudly?"

Yes why pay $1000 for an entire cluster. It's not just expensive, it's not necessary when the part costs a few dollars. I have no problem with paying the labor costs to tesla service to replace a fan. It's like having to buy new wheels if a tire goes flat

4. 132

132 Member

Bump

Would really love help on this.

5. demundus

demundus Member

So you're out of warranty I take it? When you say cluster you mean IC, meaning where the speedometer shows? Take it out, measure the fan, try to find a replacement in china, wire it in. Alternatively find someone with a smashed IC and buy their fan.

If I'm not mistaken (i replaced my IC from 2013 with one from 2015), the newer ICs dont even have a fan, they are heatsink driven... But my memory escapes me on what the back of my IC looked like before I swapped it.

6. 132

132 Member

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how to get to the ic. Do I need any special tools to pull it, any tricks, what not to do...

Fans of all sizes are available at Fry's or online. I'm not worried about getting a replacement. There is a real possibility that it's simply a dust bunny has rapped itself around the spindle part of the fan.
    Ive worked on enough PC's to know this is common.

Would be really interested to know if the chip is the same and they simply put on a heat sink in newer version.

7. demundus

demundus Member

8. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Checkout my most recent videos. Should take about 30mins. Pull up on dash on the drivers side and you can sneak it out.