Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument cluster fan replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Lukez Thank you for your help!
I was able to successfully change out the fan today using your fan specs and the instructions at
I didn't have the inflatable wedge used in this video but one of the kid's mini basketballs worked just fine.

Also, I can confirm that the service update wasn't required for this job and the cluster started up just fine after reconnected the 12v power.

Was the noise same as it can be found from the below link?
Really hard to tell. If it's a constant noise then probably yes. I was able to make it go silent for a few minutes by giving the dash above the cluster a good wack. That's how I know it was the cluster.
If it's a non constant crackling noise and can be started or turned off when you turn hvac on/off then it's probably a louver motor.

Just found this thread after I pulled my whole deal apart to find the part number on the fan. Should have checked here first

Anyway shipping from China is 1-3 months so I ordered a few of these if anyone needs one of theses fans with much faster shipping from WA state. Please contact me and can work out the logistics. Thanks!

Yes the IC from Oct 2014 forward is higher rez and no fan. BUT it has the same Tegra VCM as the MCU, which had better be at exactly the same software rev as the rest of the car, or you'd better have the ability to make it so.
Just a follow up question since I don't quite understand what you mean by your quote. I have a Model S late 2016 and the Centerdisplay is making noises. I assume it's a faulty fan. Does the fan mentioned in this sub fit my Model S (MF50151V2 C01A G99) or do you have any infos on what kind of fan is built in?

Just found this thread after I pulled my whole deal apart to find the part number on the fan. Should have checked here first

Anyway shipping from China is 1-3 months so I ordered a few of these if anyone needs one of theses fans with much faster shipping from WA state. Please contact me and can work out the logistics. Thanks!
do you know by any chance if all Model S use the same kind of fan? Mine is making noises and I'm planing do replace it myself. I have a Model S late 2016. Unfortunately located in Switzerland. Thanks for your help.

Just a follow up question since I don't quite understand what you mean by your quote. I have a Model S late 2016 and the Centerdisplay is making noises. I assume it's a faulty fan. Does the fan mentioned in this sub fit my Model S (MF50151V2 C01A G99) or do you have any infos on what kind of fan is built in?
The fan used in some Instrument Clusters is Not the same fans as those used in the MCU. On my MCU1, I have fans labeled Delta Model ASB0142HA, DC brushless, 12VDC. There are two fans.

On the Instrument Cluster, the fan is only on the Gen-1 ICs. Here are back pictures of Gen-1 through Gen-4 (and a lot of other IC information): Instrument Cluster – TeslaTap

Your instrument cluster doesn't have this fan, so no it is not the same noise/fan. You will have to take everything apart and find the source.