Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Marred during MCU1 -> MCU2 Upgrade [Resolved: Needed to Remove Screen Protector ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this forum and thanks to all in the thread. I had the EXACT same issue with my MCU2 upgrade. After reading this thread I was able to lift up on the top of the cluster surround and then use a plastic panel pulling tool to get a grip on the edge of the plastic. I could not even feel the edges, but once the tool caught the edge it removed smoothly and easily. The screen is night and day different with the film removed.

Love this forum and thanks to all in the thread. I had the EXACT same issue with my MCU2 upgrade. After reading this thread I was able to lift up on the top of the cluster surround and then use a plastic panel pulling tool to get a grip on the edge of the plastic. I could not even feel the edges, but once the tool caught the edge it removed smoothly and easily. The screen is night and day different with the film removed.

Got my upgrade done Wednesday and noticed it as soon as used sunglasses. Ended up doing the same thing using a nylon tool to get top edge down a bit and then was able to pull rest off.

I am expecting any day now to see a "Tac-Tool" or "IC Picker" from Bell & Howell advertised on TV for removing that plastic film from the IC. $ 19.95 with free shipping, and a second one free (just pay separate fee) that you can give to a friend Tesla owner that also got the MCU2 Upgrade.

• Funny
Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Just got mine back from mcu2 upgrade and have the same marred screen. I have to assume it’s the film, but it really doesn’t look like it and I can’t find an edge. Guess it has to go back. And the app won’t open doors or remote start. You’d think they’d know how to do these already....

Well it matters how many upgrades that specific SC and that specific tech has done. If they have not done many, sure, they can forget that as one of the very last steps.

We've been giving people a heads up to test the door unlocking/locking and remote starting. You should be able to use your most recent text from them and send them a note that your Car's Security Certificates need to be enabled so you can unlock and start the car. Most of the time, they have been able to fix that remotely.

And a few people have reported that they took a pin, a straight pin or safety pin and right at the bottom or side edge of their IC screen, they pricked the film and lifted the corner so they could slowly deliberately peel it off and save a trip back.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thanks - it really didn’t look like a film (as with everyone else here). I gently pushed up on the trim center top (has the most play) and used the tip of a pin to scratch at it where I’d never see any damage I did (due to the trim). About 5 seconds and I got a little snag, which turned into a rip, and from there I removed the film. Thanks! Just have to wait until Monday to get my service advisor to hopefully push the security cert

Reactions: Akikiki
Honestly, I still can’t believe they are not removing the film before installing the shroud. I wonder how many people with the MCU2 upgrade end up driving around with a dim high glare and less crisp instrument cluster. Initially I was surprised how bad mine was at night and was so relieved when I got that ugly film off.
Whoa!
I had my MCU1 changed out to the MCU 2 a few months back.
Now that it is winter, the sun being lower on the horizon and getting into the car "directly", and noticed tons of light scratches all over the screen.
And I am thinking "what the..."
How'd it get that scratched...
But it sounds like the plastic is still on?
That must be really clear, shiny and thin plastic.
So the best way to get it off is by sticking blue painters tape in a corner, and peeling it back?

Just bought a 2016 that it had the MCU2 retrofit done last year. On the way home, I noticed the light scratching and the kind of hazy look of the instrument cluster. Thankfully, I found this thread and started pulling, voila! Thank you all for all the help, makes the car even better now.

I got the MCU2 upgrade last week and noticed glare on the instrument cluster. A quick search led me to this post. I couldn't remove the film myself, so I had the mobile tech come out and he confirmed the film was left on and removed it. One tip I learned to determine if the protective film has been left on is that if the film is still on, a flashlight will show as pure white. When the film is off, rainbow colors refract around the light.