Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Marred during MCU1 -> MCU2 Upgrade [Resolved: Needed to Remove Screen Protector ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plano, TX SC did my MCU1 and FSD upgrade today. All good...or so I thought. Driving east, the sun hit my instrument cluster and the surface is scratched all to hell. Mostly vertical, uniform scratches. I can’t find any part of the screen without damage. I found a time lapse of a DIY MCU upgrade online and can’t figure out how the tech inflicted this amount of damage to the screen of the cluster. There was no damage to the screen when I dropped it off at the SC. Anyhoops, many of you have already gone through this upgrade. Have any of you been hit with instrument cluster damage? ...or if you’re one of the brave DIY souls out there, any idea how a SC could have caused this damage?

Dang. I need to stop skim-reading. How did I overlook the IC replacement during the MCU upgrade? Good idea on the shipment protector, I’ll check for that possibility. @galvatron, I texted the SC within about an hour of picking it up, but it was after closing. Good news all around though. I’ll be gobsmacked if they don’t make my IC whole again. I focused on looking for touchscreen, trim, wood damage...ignorantly didn’t eye the IC.

Plano, TX SC did my MCU1 and FSD upgrade today. All good...or so I thought. Driving east, the sun hit my instrument cluster and the surface is scratched all to hell. Mostly vertical, uniform scratches. I can’t find any part of the screen without damage. I found a time lapse of a DIY MCU upgrade online and can’t figure out how the tech inflicted this amount of damage to the screen of the cluster. There was no damage to the screen when I dropped it off at the SC. Anyhoops, many of you have already gone through this upgrade. Have any of you been hit with instrument cluster damage? ...or if you’re one of the brave DIY souls out there, any idea how a SC could have caused this damage?

I've been crying about Plano SC around here for a while now. They're to be avoided like the plague. Full of incompetent and liar employees. I visited them with an issue they claimed it absolutely cannot be fixed and lied to my face "that's just how it works" and then I went to Cedars SC where they immediately fixed my issue, with a very professional and knowledgeable attitude. Day and night difference. Avoid Plano SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I had my IC replaced last year from bubbles. Same thing happened to me. I was very irritated. I called service and they said to run it and see if it moves. (It’s a hard plastic not like a normal film you’d see say in a TV or cell phone from mfg) sure enough it was a little wiggly. (The IC should NOT move) it’s held with a piece of tape at the top and bottom. I gave it a good tug and it came off and was nice and shiny.

Yep. It’s the shipping protection. I can see teeny bubbles under it. I’ll be danged if I can get it off though. I can’t get any purchase. Tried to use painter’s tape on a edge. No love. Watched a YouTube clip on how to get to it. No way. I’ll roll up to the Plano SC Monday morning...

Yep. It’s the shipping protection. I can see teeny bubbles under it. I’ll be danged if I can get it off though. I can’t get any purchase. Tried to use painter’s tape on a edge. No love. Watched a YouTube clip on how to get to it. No way. I’ll roll up to the Plano SC Monday morning...

Service told me to wiggle it from side to side on the far left. I did that and the side popped out and then I just slowly ripped. That being said. You paid for your upgrade so.

Reactions: croman
This is what I am most afraid of with the service center tearing apart my entire dash. Will they correct this by replacing it with a new unscratched one?

A year or more ago, a mobile service tech came to our house to replace the passenger side Takata airbag. To do so he had to disassemble the dash. I didn’t notice until he was gone a number of dark colored foam on the floor of the garage. I mentioned it on my next 100 mile trip to the service center and they said, “It’s nothing, just sound deadeners.” I showed them to the next mobile tech that came out and he said the same thing. I don’t hear any rattles so I guess it’s OK. That was for my S. My X has rattles that, so far, they haven’t tracked down.

Stopped by the Plano SC this morning. You guys were right. Screen protector left on the IC. Took ~15mins to take it into the shop, remove it, and return it to me. Irritating to be late for work and the waiting room is not available, so good news was that it was a pretty morning for me to pace around the parking lot and answer emails.

Thanks again.

Ok so I got lucky and pushing up on the top middle of the rounded black plastic IC frame cover caught the edge of the screen protector and pulled down the middle and it came off fairly easily. Phew! It’s so glossy with no glare now!

F87DB570-3BBF-42B8-AFC4-9ADD18DFEBB3.jpeg
B3862411-0C15-4FE6-B82D-EE12AF2B9F72.jpeg
379DB4CC-8A92-4E44-84A3-105E1D832CCD.jpeg

Same issue with me. I managed to lift the trim as there was no play at all on the film. It was barely noticeable that the film was on there but I couldn't feel smooth glass and there were like 5 little bubbles on the far right.

Anyways, I tried and tried to remove it per the instructions above but even with tape pulling at it, the film was stuck hard. So I lifted the trim and reached to the edge of the top of the IC and pulled at the edge with my fingernail until it slightly crinkled the film From there I could pinch and work at the film. A minute later and I could physically pull the film off. I had to really push and bend the trim to access the edge of the IC screen but it worked and with no damage as far as I can tell.

Posting photo showing the tab that probably would've been useful for the Service Center installer to pull down and fold so it could be removed after the IC trim is reinstalled.
IMG_20200623_135706.jpg

Reactions: f205v and dragoljub
Honestly, I still can’t believe they are not removing the film before installing the shroud. I wonder how many people with the MCU2 upgrade end up driving around with a dim high glare and less crisp instrument cluster. Initially I was surprised how bad mine was at night and was so relieved when I got that ugly film off.

Their quality standards for hiring techs at some service centers is extremely low. I am not surprised at all at these blunders that keep popping up.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Honestly, I still can’t believe they are not removing the film before installing the shroud. I wonder how many people with the MCU2 upgrade end up driving around with a dim high glare and less crisp instrument cluster. Initially I was surprised how bad mine was at night and was so relieved when I got that ugly film off.

If it wasn't for this thread I would've not known what was wrong.

Honestly someone like my mom would leave it on even though it isn't fully transparent and is reflective at night.