Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument cluster not working - unconnected wire behind left dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My out of warranty 2012 Model S was recently at the service center for a Service Required issue. I was told it needs a new DC DC converter and given an estimate, which I declined. Upon the tow company dropping my car off, the smaller instrument cluster display was black (it had worked fine before.)

The left side panel of the dash was left hanging off by its wire connection. I also see this small white connector not connected to anything. Could this be the reason my instrument panel doesn't work?

Looking for some info before I start pulling the dash apart to see where/if this should be connected. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0936CFCD-27EA-4677-892A-02894E144A25.jpeg
    0936CFCD-27EA-4677-892A-02894E144A25.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 158
Hi all,

My out of warranty 2012 Model S was recently at the service center for a Service Required issue. I was told it needs a new DC DC converter and given an estimate, which I declined. Upon the tow company dropping my car off, the smaller instrument cluster display was black (it had worked fine before.)

The left side panel of the dash was left hanging off by its wire connection. I also see this small white connector not connected to anything. Could this be the reason my instrument panel doesn't work?

Looking for some info before I start pulling the dash apart to see where/if this should be connected. Thanks!
Have you find out why the screen went black? My 2013 instrument cluster went black a few days ago and never came back. I have reboot the instrument cluster and MCU1 many times, but can't bring the instrument cluster back. MCU1 works fine, the steering wheel buttons are not working, only working function is to reboot MCU1.

Have you find out why the screen went black? My 2013 instrument cluster went black a few days ago and never came back. I have reboot the instrument cluster and MCU1 many times, but can't bring the instrument cluster back. MCU1 works fine, the steering wheel buttons are not working, only working function is to reboot MCU1.
I have your exact symptoms on my 2013... What did the issue/solution end up being for you? They want to charge me $2k for new speedometer screen and computer, but I'd rather wait a couple of months to see if it comes back magically after an update. thanks!

I have your exact symptoms on my 2013... What did the issue/solution end up being for you? They want to charge me $2k for new speedometer screen and computer, but I'd rather wait a couple of months to see if it comes back magically after an update. thanks!
Funny follow-up: At the SC, some kind of "hard reboot" woke up the speedometer cluster, so I didn't need a $2000 "upgrade" of the infotainment system and IC. Just goes to show you: over-the-air updates can "make your car better over time", but they can also "break your car unexpectedly". For me, it's mostly been the latter.

Just had the same issue, car is out of extended warranty by 7 months. It left me stranded last Friday and gave me all kinds of low voltage errors, I replaced the 12v battery even though service didn't think it was the issue in hopes of being a cheap fix. I had it towed in to service on Saturday and finally just got a quote of $3200 to replace dc to dc connector and heat pumps. The kicker is dc isn't available and apparently they updated the system so they have to reengineer a replacement which may take up to 2 months. at least they will give free loaner during the time. I am considering opening a NHTSA complaint on this.

Not sure what NHTSA would have to do with this unless you were in a crash, and even then, some things fail and that's life. Bummer to have to spend so much, but it sounds like the original DC-DC inverter, long out of production, is no longer available. It could even be some of the chips used are no longer being made. The newer design is better, so it sounds like they working on a way to utilize the new design. I'm surprised they are giving you a loaner for an out-of-warranty car. Anyway, I hope they can solve it for you.