Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster slow to load on startup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning,

Recently I noticed my MCU screen went black, took it to SC, they did a reset, which cleared all settings, but brought the MCU back to life. Since then, I’ve noticed my instrument cluster is much slower to load than previously. Now, I have to wait 15-20 seconds for the cluster to light up, initially with the T logo, then it will give me the option to power on and drive.

Is this a sign that my MCU is going to go out soon? I have the 8 year warranty, but I’ve heard the MCU1’s (mine is a 2013 P85+) are back ordered typically and thus, there would be a significant wait time.

Thanks,
H

I've seen the same thing happening on my MCU1-AP1 2016 Model X. I think it's something they changed in a recent firmware update that now causes the IC screen to sleep more and boot up slower than before. Since it's a separate computer from the main MCU, I doubt it is any kind of precursor warning that the main MCU will fail soon.

I have this too. Feel like an idiot getting in my car now, pretending to do stuff waiting for it to boot up. My MCU1 is getting replaced in 2 weeks because I lost all connectivity due to the emmc die-ing. ping me in a couple of weeks if you want to know if this fixed the slow booting dash screen.

• Funny
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Good morning,

Recently I noticed my MCU screen went black, took it to SC, they did a reset, which cleared all settings, but brought the MCU back to life. Since then, I’ve noticed my instrument cluster is much slower to load than previously. Now, I have to wait 15-20 seconds for the cluster to light up, initially with the T logo, then it will give me the option to power on and drive.

Is this a sign that my MCU is going to go out soon? I have the 8 year warranty, but I’ve heard the MCU1’s (mine is a 2013 P85+) are back ordered typically and thus, there would be a significant wait time.

Thanks,
H
Thanks for posting, same experience here.

IC used to turn on as soon as I opened the door (as MCU in fact). Now like you, happens regularly that I must wait, and embarrassingly tell the passengers to hold on, 'cause the car is starting.
Not sure which update triggered this, but definitely new behaviour in my 5 years ownership.

Reactions: Mucall
I have this too. Feel like an idiot getting in my car now, pretending to do stuff waiting for it to boot up. My MCU1 is getting replaced in 2 weeks because I lost all connectivity due to the emmc die-ing. ping me in a couple of weeks if you want to know if this fixed the slow booting dash screen.
Is it being replaced with a refurbished MCU1 under warranty or did you pay for the MCU2 upgrade?

I've seen the same thing happening on my MCU1-AP1 2016 Model X. I think it's something they changed in a recent firmware update that now causes the IC screen to sleep more and boot up slower than before. Since it's a separate computer from the main MCU, I doubt it is any kind of precursor warning that the main MCU will fail soon.
My 2013 S is Also taking longer to boot after the last update.

Did you confirm that “Energy Saving” is still off? It is under the “Display” settings.

I just had the MCU1 repaired with the new daughterboard replacement. All of the settings were reset due to the repair. Mine was doing the same thing until I turned off Energy Saving.