Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Weirdness...is this a precursor to bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Hello All,

So this past week, Tesla replaced the instrument cluster on our 2013 P85+. At first I thought everything was OK, and even appreciated the higher resolution of the new screen. It looks "normal" from the driver's seat. HOWEVER, my wife looked over while I was driving and indicated it looked "weird" to her. It is most obvious when something light is reflected in the screen and she managed to get the picture below (see the swirly rainbows in the reflected side window). In looking at it this morning in my garage, I can see it with a flashlight reflecting off the trim and when I touch the screen with my finger the pattern can change. Now, I know LCDs can be funky when you press them, but this seems more like the protective cover is not making full contact with the underlying LCD and perhaps the LOCA (glue) is not fully cured. This, of course, has me wondering if the screen will soon start to bubble (note: my warranty is up in a couple of weeks!), leak, etc....you know the drill.

Anyway, any feedback from the masses on this?

Inst cluster pic (see washed out area where the window is reflecting)
Tesla - Inst Cluster Post Replacement.jpg

To me, it doesn't seem like a precursor to the bubble issue as there really is no change (surprisingly) to the visualization other than the area up top where the bubbles are. The liquid sort of drains from the bottom and uniformly moves down due to gravity. The only symptom is the goo under your display and the bubbles that form at the top and eventually sides. Yours looks more like a manufacturing defect or, what I suspect, a remanufactured display. It looks like someone attempted to repair a delaminated LCD display and had some contaminants during the process. This is all speculation and I would get Tesla involved to see if they'll replace it again but don't be surprised if they tell you an a somewhat polite manner to pound sand. They will likely say that as long as you can see it properly from the driver's seat that's how it was designed and therefore it's meeting the terms of use for the warranty. Tesla sometimes puts more effort into denying warranty work these days (and other customer service issues) than had they simply replaced the item in the first place.

tl;dr Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst.

Good luck.

It looks to me like they left on the protective film. There is another thread about this issue with mcu2 upgrades. Search for instrument cluster marred.

I lifted my IC surround and peeled it at the edge of the ic glass.

Thanks! My wife just left with the car, but when she gets back I will mess with it. My first thought was "is there a film on here?" since that is so common with screens, and I swear it had some "give" when I touched it, but I wasn't sure. Will definitely check it out, and here is the thread you referenced:

Instrument Cluster Marred during MCU1 -> MCU2 Upgrade [Resolved: Needed to Remove Screen Protector ]

Will try to update later today...

Reactions: croman and brkaus
Thanks! My wife just left with the car, but when she gets back I will mess with it. My first thought was "is there a film on here?" since that is so common with screens, and I swear it had some "give" when I touched it, but I wasn't sure. Will definitely check it out, and here is the thread you referenced:

Instrument Cluster Marred during MCU1 -> MCU2 Upgrade [Resolved: Needed to Remove Screen Protector ]

Will try to update later today...

That's the thread! Good luck!