Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument panel (speedometer) rebooting itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S and over the past couple of months, the instrument panel where the speedometer is has begun to reboot itself on nearly every drive (for example on a 2 mile drive, I will typically see one to two reboots).

I was told by Tesla service that this was caused by a firmware bug that is under review, however, it's been at least a month now and I'm a little surprised to not read about it anywhere else or see a fix. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

yes this is now constantly happening on my 2017 Model X - have had it in twice for the same issue and got the same answer as you from Tesla. I keep telling them this is a SAFETY ISSUE as it happens when I'm driving but they keep saying it's under review. Pretty frustrating honestly..

Happening frequently to me, also. Tesla’s inability to solve (or even acknowledge, really) this big-time safety issue (as far as I can tell, none of the safety controls work while rebooting) has me questioning their focus. I’m hoping it will be solved in a future upgrade, but I haven’t gotten any reassurance from techs and support that anyone is actually working on it.

Reactions: Category5
I've opened up another service request with the specific note that I will open up a safety defect complaint file with Transport Canada if this does not get resolved. Transportation authorities mandate that a vehicle needs to have a functioning speedometer at ALL times. I'm sure the NHTSA would equally be interested in this issue...

Sorry to hear others are having this problem. I've continued to contact Tesla every couple of weeks since my initial service (April 5 and then again on April 25) about this and definitely have not gotten further info.

Does anyone know how to track a bug? I was told this was a known issue, so I'm thinking it must be logged somewhere and I ought to be able to find out where and then look myself as each software update rolls out. Seems odd to never know and then have no idea if a software update is intending to fix a specific issue or not.

@Doreheel - what safety controls do you think are not working? I definitely haven't tried everything but I haven't been able to tell that anything else doesn't work during this reboot.