TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insulating the panoramic roof in winter

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tnt1971, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

The noise is coming from that hideous insulation you put on the pano roof :)
    Hey, what ever floats your boat but I just don't get the need for it. My S heats up so quickly and stays warm. Now I could use some better floor heat but, that's a Tesla weakness I live with.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Don't know. They didn't when they adjusted my triangle windows, but that was almost four years ago.

3. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

I thought same :).

If that's what it takes to be warm (it's not) then I will be cold.

4. Blissedout

Blissedout Member

I have an August 2016 Model S, and the sun screens work. They may not fit perfectly, but they fit well enough.

5. srijey

srijey Tesla Fundie

Do you mean to stay this stays on the top w/o glue/ tape/ suction cups if you can get the perfect measurement?

6. jerry33

If I was going to do this, I would:

1. Remove the sun screens (if you have them).
    2. Add a couple of semi-stiff plastic strips (or other semi-rigid material) to the foam that are just longer than the foam (which you've cut to the exact size).
    3. Put the strips into the grooves that the sun screens used. This will hold the foam in place without tape or glue.
    4. Store the sun screens in a safe place for installation next summer.

7. srijey

srijey Tesla Fundie

I feel temperature measurement is more sensitive to leakage of outside air than the sound meter. I feel glass transmits heat and sound more than the panelled body. Placing the acoustic pyramid studio foam on the roof and on the side glasses should reduce the heat loss and the noise transmission to some extent.

8. Merle

Merle Member

How cold does it have to be in order to have to consider insulating the windows where you're at?

Drove over Vail pass a month or so ago with snow conditions, and then up to Salt Lake City in UT during some blizzard where you couldn't see the road nor markings - just turned on the seat heater and played with the internal temperatures.

I'm up in the Lake Tahoe and we had snow as recent as this weekend, but it rarely gets down to single digits (and we burn oak). Of course I'm the type who rides a motorcycle with heated gear.

Maybe heated gear is an option?

9. jerry33

Depends on how sensitive you are to cold and how long you're going to be in the car. Probably 0C for long duration and -10C for short duration (assumes you are preheating).

10. Seawind300

Seawind300 Member

I did it with thinsulate velcroed to the sunshades , works very well

• Like x 1
  11. jerry33

Good plan.