TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance and anti theft...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by agloutney, Nov 20, 2014.

1. agloutney

agloutney Member

Less than a month to delivery so I call up my insurance for a quote. They will not insure my car unless it has a vehicle recovery system that is on their list such as Tag or Boomerang. Trying to explain to them that a Tesla comes with it's own recovery system built in was futile. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't want to modify my car in any way for purely administrative reasons but they won't insure me unless the system is on their list.
    Banging my head on my desk!

2. FourBucks

FourBucks Member

That is brutal! My insurance company gave me a quote that turns out to be only $147/year more than what I'm already paying for a '09 Toyota Highlander. Call TD Melloche Monnex (no I don't work for them...:biggrin:). Good luck!

3. agloutney

agloutney Member

I'm with Meloche monnex. I have a great group rate with them and want to stay with them. Unfortunately they need to update their ways in regards to new tech.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Huh? I'm with TD Meloche Monnex and have a great group rate with them. For my Model S and my Roadster.

5. FourBucks

FourBucks Member

Must be a Quebec thing? plus ça change

6. agloutney

agloutney Member

7. dj905

dj905 Member

I am also with TD Meloche Monnex. They asked for Boomerang with my roadster (5 years ago), but did not for the Model S. I recommend that you ask to speak to a manager.

8. sundoc

sundoc Member

I'm with meloche monnex as well and had no problem getting a quote. Will be setting up MS insurance next week or so.

9. agloutney

agloutney Member

Ok thanks, ill be going up the ladder a bit to see what they can do. They said it was all cars above 100K tax included,no exceptions. I didn't factor in the $8000 Quebec rebate though which brings it right around 100K. I'll call them back and update later.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They did force me to a higher deductible because > $100k. But that was it. (Oddly they only did that for the Model S, not the Roadster.)

11. agloutney

agloutney Member

Well it's official, there's no way around it for cars >$100k. Using another insurer will cost more than TD Meloche Monnex even with the Tag. Off to Lebeau for a redundant Tag. I asked about the deductible and they said the increased deductible was merely a suggestion and not an obligation. Must be a local thing.

12. FourBucks

FourBucks Member

Merde.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Or maybe they changed policies... who knows?!?

14. agloutney

agloutney Member

They checked with the underwriter (national security) if they made exceptions for cars with recovery features built in. The answer was a swift no.
    I'm a little uneasy with some auto glass company installing stuff on my Tesla. If anyone knows of a place near Montreal that has experience with Teslas I'd love to hear about it.

15. clea

clea Member

For TAG, I had mine installed at their main site across from Marche Centrale 1 1/2 years ago without any issue and I'm sure they've gained more experience since then.

16. LouisB

LouisB Member

+1

L

17. agloutney

agloutney Member

Thanks guys, I called them. Seems they do a lot of Teslas. I've also been reassured that they don't pierce holes anywhere on the car or plug into any wires.