Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance and anti theft...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less than a month to delivery so I call up my insurance for a quote. They will not insure my car unless it has a vehicle recovery system that is on their list such as Tag or Boomerang. Trying to explain to them that a Tesla comes with it's own recovery system built in was futile. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't want to modify my car in any way for purely administrative reasons but they won't insure me unless the system is on their list.
Banging my head on my desk!

Less than a month to delivery so I call up my insurance for a quote. They will not insure my car unless it has a vehicle recovery system that is on their list such as Tag or Boomerang. Trying to explain to them that a Tesla comes with it's own recovery system built in was futile. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't want to modify my car in any way for purely administrative reasons but they won't insure me unless the system is on their list.
Banging my head on my desk!

That is brutal! My insurance company gave me a quote that turns out to be only $147/year more than what I'm already paying for a '09 Toyota Highlander. Call TD Melloche Monnex (no I don't work for them...:biggrin:). Good luck!

Ok thanks, ill be going up the ladder a bit to see what they can do. They said it was all cars above 100K tax included,no exceptions. I didn't factor in the $8000 Quebec rebate though which brings it right around 100K. I'll call them back and update later.

Well it's official, there's no way around it for cars >$100k. Using another insurer will cost more than TD Meloche Monnex even with the Tag. Off to Lebeau for a redundant Tag. I asked about the deductible and they said the increased deductible was merely a suggestion and not an obligation. Must be a local thing.

They checked with the underwriter (national security) if they made exceptions for cars with recovery features built in. The answer was a swift no.
I'm a little uneasy with some auto glass company installing stuff on my Tesla. If anyone knows of a place near Montreal that has experience with Teslas I'd love to hear about it.

They checked with the underwriter (national security) if they made exceptions for cars with recovery features built in. The answer was a swift no.
I'm a little uneasy with some auto glass company installing stuff on my Tesla. If anyone knows of a place near Montreal that has experience with Teslas I'd love to hear about it.

For TAG, I had mine installed at their main site across from Marche Centrale 1 1/2 years ago without any issue and I'm sure they've gained more experience since then.

Hello!
Has anyone found any update on this issue since?
It's now 2018, and I'm trying to insure a Model S but I cannot yet find an insurer that isn't insisting on the TAG system.
It costs 350$ + tax to install, so I do not want this.
My quote is very reasonable, around 900$ with deductibles that are high ($2500). I'm told that without TAG the premium would jump to around 1800$ annually.
Has anyone found an insurer that accepts Tesla's Inbuild anti-theft and geolocalisation systems?

Again, must be a Quebec thing. here in Ontario, Aviva an Ontario Tesla Owners Club sponsor, asks for no such thing. Insurance Databases are in need of updating. My late 2014 Model S is listed as having no Collision avoidance despite it being present via software update. And there is no way to convince them otherwise.

ok, thanks for that information.
I just received my car today, and I was told at the dealership that Aviva seem to accept screenshots for the geolocalisation enabled in the phoneapp as well as the antitheft. This along with a screenshot of the current location of the car, as a proof of it working.
She said that most clients that she's dealt with in Montreal have been able to do this.
I will try this in the next few days, and update this post.