TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance and autopilot

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Patrick W, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

My insurance agent rang today to say that if autopilot turns out to be a safety feature it could result in a discount. Would be nice if that happens.

Let's just hope the people setting the rates don't see too many of those videos of people doing dumb things with autopilot.

2. Rebel44

Rebel44 Member

It would help, if Tesla released (after enough data is gathered) stats about Autopilots performance. Insurance companies would be able to factor in such data into your cost of insurance.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I checked with my agent. They said it takes a year for the insurance companies to decide if there is a value to these feature for them.

4. themacs

themacs Member

Just got my P90D to replace my 2014 S 85. Called my agent and the premium difference was ZERO. Still about $360 for 6 months (full coverage of course). Very happy to say the least.

5. Beryl

Beryl Member

What company?

6. Vigile

Vigile Member

I'm more worried that they would see the online videos and consider Auto Pilot a risk rather than a safety feature.

7. the_donjuan

the_donjuan Member

That's a great premium. I think you'll have a lot of jealous TMC members wanting to flock to your agent.

8. mmccord

mmccord Member

Insurance rates aren't set by actuaries browsing youtube. They are set by actuaries working with real data sets.

9. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Which is why it would take at least a year to see any discounts for AP. Even then, there would have to be something to say whether AP was installed or not, otherwise, how would they know?