Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance and delivery date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The app prompts me to add my insurance info. So, I tried getting insurance via Progressive. I spoke to Flo on the phone, and she said the she needs to know the date of delivery. Currently the app gives me a 2 week range. So she asked me to call them when I have the date.

My questions is, will the delivery window narrow to the standard 3 days which I can then use to buy insurance? Or will they wait for me to purchase insurance first and upload proof before they give me a date?

Cant you wait until you have a delivery date scheduled to buy insurance? This is likely one of those things that may be state dependent, but in CA, we can simply upload our current insurance card (proving we have car insurance) and we can add the car to the plan either right before, or even after, we take delivery.

We are still covered under the current plan as long as we do not wait too long to notify insurance of a change. There is a grace period which may depend on the insurance company, but I believe the state allows for "2-30 days" (after delivery) when I google it.

I have always just gotten quotes before (so I know what the cost will be) and added any car I get after pick up, the evening of pickup or the next day. Perhaps this is different in other states.

Reactions: Doggerton
I would not go adding any vins discovered by looking at source code to insurance policies, so I would recommend waiting until you have an actual delivery date scheduled, MVPA with your vin on it, etc.

Sometimes those vins in source code change (have read a decent number of threads on that over the time I have been here).

I would not go adding any vins discovered by looking at source code to insurance policies, so I would recommend waiting until you have an actual delivery date scheduled, MVPA with your vin on it, etc.

Sometimes those vins in source code change (have read a decent number of threads on that over the time I have been here).
My VIN is displayed prominently on the app and the webpage. I didn't look at the source code.

But I'll wait for them to give me a date then :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-170255.png
    Screenshot_20220110-170255.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 524
My VIN is displayed prominently on the app and the webpage. I didn't look at the source code.

But I'll wait for them to give me a date then :)

Your original question was "will they give you a more definite window" and I am fairly certain the answer is yes. Even if they dont give you a window, but contact you and say "pick up tomorrow" unless things are very different in MA vs CA, it shouldnt take more than 10-15 minutes to add a car to your current policy by contacting your insurance, so there really isnt any benefit to adding it now that I am aware of.

Of course, perhaps it takes longer than that were you are, or there is some benefit I am unaware of in doing it sooner.

My original question was will they give me a window without me uploading the proof of insurance or will I need the proof first for the definitive window. Your statements answer my question. Thanks.

Sure.... but since in MA you have to have the car insured first, perhaps they require something different (meaning I am not sure at this point my answer is applicable for you).

Perhaps ask in the regional subforum for your region, and someone who has been through it in your area might know more definitively?

I just am not sure what I have described is appropriate, since our states require different insurance workflows.

Reactions: whiskeylover
Cant you wait until you have a delivery date scheduled to buy insurance? This is likely one of those things that may be state dependent, but in CA, we can simply upload our current insurance card (proving we have car insurance) and we can add the car to the plan either right before, or even after, we take delivery.

We are still covered under the current plan as long as we do not wait too long to notify insurance of a change. There is a grace period which may depend on the insurance company, but I believe the state allows for "2-30 days" (after delivery) when I google it.

I have always just gotten quotes before (so I know what the cost will be) and added any car I get after pick up, the evening of pickup or the next day. Perhaps this is different in other states.
I was not aware of this grace period in California. Thank you for sharing!