Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance and track use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know if anyone here has tackled the question of insurance and track use. I'm shopping for insurance for the M3P I've ordered, and CAA's quote, while very well-priced, included something called a "Race Track Exclusion". From what the CAA rep told me, I essentially need to agree to never take the car onto a track.

While I would not expect my regular insurance to cover me for track driving (there is specialized insurance for that), I find it rather draconian that any track use would essentially invalidate the policy. I would not want to have a claim denied because I took the car to a track without incident a few months prior.

There isn't much point in buying a P (vs the LR) if I can't take it to a track without messing up my insurance.

My understanding is that most regular insurance will not cover accident on track. You would have to pay extra to get track coverage.

Which track are you planning to take your m3p?

That was my understanding. But CAA pretty much wanted me to confirm that I would not take the care onto a race track, which is a different thing. I asked for clarification, but I have not heard back yet. If that's the case, it's not worth the savings over my current insurer. I reached out to my

I was definitely planning to going to Calabogie Motorsport Park, and perhaps Mont-Tremblant as well. There is also Luskville Dragway on the Quebec side that is really close by for drag racing.

Well what difference does it make if you confirm or not? If you are not covered on track, you are not covered on track end of story.
Not sure what your confirmation of "I will not track the car" change really for the insurance company.

Well what difference does it make if you confirm or not? If you are not covered on track, you are not covered on track end of story.
Not sure what your confirmation of "I will not track the car" change really for the insurance company.
It's not a case of "Your're not covered on a track". My interpretation was that CAA Insurance would not write a policy at all for a car that will be used on a track at any time (i.e. If you track the car, we do not want you as a client). I received confirmation from CAA, and it turns out my interpretation was correct.

All other insurance companies have a clause (I think it's a standard Ontario auto insurance clause) that there is not coverage as a result of use in a "race of speed trial", but nothing about not being eligible for insurance at all in the car spends time on a track (understanding there is no coverage for that time). I'm OK with that; I can get supplementary insurance for track days as required.

So in the end CAA was quite a bit cheaper, but didn't provide the coverage I needed. I'm going to be sticking with my current insurer.