Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance - Assigning a dollar value to Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I was recently involved in a total loss accident of my beloved 2017 Tesla. This car had what I am going to refer to as "Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging" (avoiding the f word, it certainly has a value).

I am currently in the process of attempting to assign a dollar value to my total loss claim with my insurance company. Two items that I am having difficulty portraying the value of is a lifetime of free energy and lifetime of premium connectivity. I suppose you might value a lifetime as the average lifespan of a car but I am not quite sure what that number of years or miles may be. I had a 2017 with 42,000 miles on it.

I am wondering if anyone else in the community has had experience in either insurance claims of a total loss vehicle or obtaining official documentation from Tesla assigning a value. The Sales advisor who I just purchased another 2021 car from said there is a dollar value assigned with this that he saw on orders years ago but he was not willing to disclose this number to me.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
It has been about a year since your post. What was the outcome? Were you able to get the insurance company to give you some assigned value for your lifetime SC?

It has been about a year since your post. What was the outcome? Were you able to get the insurance company to give you some assigned value for your lifetime SC?

Hey EVNoob,

Sadly I did not get anything for the lifetime supercharging. Same thing goes for the lifetime Premium Connectivity.

It was a long fight, but first they told me "well there is no dollar value assigned to this as an upgradable feature" so they wouldn't give me anything for it.

Eventually we compromised and when valuing my car they looked at comps that included lifetime free supercharging. In the end I suppose that was the "fair" resolution but in reality I was not seeing cars sold with unlimited supercharging going for any higher amount of money than ones that did not have the option. It really came down to what the market as a whole assigns it's value.

The other thing I will say.. We debated over two months going back and forth trying to get a reasonable assessment of the car. They lowballed me at first but eventually we settled on $101,000. I consider this as a win as I bought the car for $87,000 and put about 20k miles on it. The fact that at the time tesla discontinued production and the used market demand was so high helped me get high value comps. The down side.. I only just took delivery of my 2022 MX and had to wait 11 months D:

Reactions: DerbyDave
1. Provide real data to justify a big number (good example in this thread). Ask Big.
2. Already have prepaid legal insurance (or hire a lawyer) to present your demand.
3. Offer something solid but less than your ask you can tell them you'll be content to accept and continue as a happy customer. Anything less you'll have to look at other ways to protect your rights and would not be able to conontinue as a customer.

1. Provide real data to justify a big number (good example in this thread). Ask Big.
2. Already have prepaid legal insurance (or hire a lawyer) to present your demand.
3. Offer something solid but less than your ask you can tell them you'll be content to accept and continue as a happy customer. Anything less you'll have to look at other ways to protect your rights and would not be able to conontinue as a customer.
Any suggestions for prepaid legal company? I've been looking into this for a long time but never had anyone I know use one to be able to recommend.

Second for the main topic;

I keep religious records for my vehicles, including TM-SPY & Scan My Tesla data. As such I know exactly how much DC Charging I've done on each of my vehicles.
To keep it simple, I'd take the amount of DC charging done, multiply by the average electrical rate for my area, divide by number of years the vehicle has been in operation, and then multiply the yearly supercharging savings by how many years I plan to keep the vehicle on the road.

Any suggestions for prepaid legal company? I've been looking into this for a long time but never had anyone I know use one to be able to recommend.

Second for the main topic;

I keep religious records for my vehicles, including TM-SPY & Scan My Tesla data. As such I know exactly how much DC Charging I've done on each of my vehicles.
To keep it simple, I'd take the amount of DC charging done, multiply by the average electrical rate for my area, divide by number of years the vehicle has been in operation, and then multiply the yearly supercharging savings by how many years I plan to keep the vehicle on the road.
Legalshield

I don't know the exact price for supercharging because it’s free and thus doesn’t display the prices on my screen like it does for others. I will use CA as my example as that’s where i currently live. I have heard prices range from .20 to .43 so i will split the difference and call it .33 for my equation, if it’s wrong then someone please let me know so i can edit and change the formula.
I too have a car with lifetime unlimited supercharging (2013 85). To get what I call the "retail" price of your supercharging, you can log into your Tesla account and select the charging page. If you scroll to the very last page of supercharging history it gives, you'll get the option to download your data by month. Those tables show you the actual $/kWhr you would have been charged without the free charging. Very useful for lots of geeky calculations ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: Need and aesculus
FWIW if I select the download on records from 2016 nothing happens. I suppose there is a cut off date for data retention.

Sure would be nice to have these consolidated as one download file.
Probably true. I've only had my car since 2020. Everything for me is still there but I could certainly see them not keeping things forever. I've been downloading each month or two so I can keep my records up to date.

Reactions: aesculus
I too have a car with lifetime unlimited supercharging (2013 85). To get what I call the "retail" price of your supercharging, you can log into your Tesla account and select the charging page. If you scroll to the very last page of supercharging history it gives, you'll get the option to download your data by month. Those tables show you the actual $/kWhr you would have been charged without the free charging. Very useful for lots of geeky calculations ;-)
Holy crap.... I had never realized Supercharging got so dang expensive! They really jacked it up!!!!!! Definately holding on to my MS and MX 2016's until they fall apart! What I used yesterday alone would have been close to $75! I have around 65 MWH of DC Charging since 2016 on my MS and around 50 on my MX.

Holy crap.... I had never realized Supercharging got so dang expensive! They really jacked it up!!!!!! Definately holding on to my MS and MX 2016's until they fall apart! What I used yesterday alone would have been close to $75! I have around 65 MWH of DC Charging since 2016 on my MS and around 50 on my MX.
It is compared to what you're likely paying to charge at home but still cheaper than gas. I recently did a trip from NJ to IN that obviously cost me nothing but would have been $100 in supercharging without free-unlimited and nearly $300 in my previous gas car. Even with gas prices a year ago, it still would have been over $200.

My 2017 MX free charging started off as $0.20/kWh. I only have 2 supercharging in July 2022, but they were $0.46/kWh and $0.56/kWh. But it is a good tool to use to see how much "free charging" you got over the years. I wish you don't have to download like 50 csv files...at least have a year summary one.

Reactions: aesculus