TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance cancellation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Grisik, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Grisik

Grisik Member

I got a notice from Kentucky Farm Bureau today that they were no longer covering Tesla products. They canceled my insurance and gave me two weeks to find other insurance. Has anyone else had the same issue? Can anyone recommend other insurance?

2. murse

murse Member

Erie has been great so far. Although I havent had to use them yet for any claims.

3. Grisik

Grisik Member

They are nice enough to keep my truck and my Lexus, just not the Tesla.

4. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

Have run into insurance issues with kit-cars in the past. In California, they may not refuse insurance on ANY car that's legally registered, however some of the agents try the "it's not in our database, we cannot insure it" excuses. However, just because they must provide insurance doesn't mean they want to, and it may not be cheap.

Things for you to check are, firstly are they allowed to just cancel the insurance contract (or were you at the renewal period.)
    Secondly, are they allowed to refuse you coverage (check with your state insurance commissioner.)

FYI, I use Farmers Insurance.

5. Greengolfer

Greengolfer Member

I use Mercury and they seemed more than willing to insure me. I haven't needed them yet, but they have been great with my wife's BMW.

6. islandchick

islandchick Member

Progressive gave me a very good quote when I was looking to buy. No Tesla to insure now though, but they have been great with the hurricane and motorcycle

7. jeffdom1978

jeffdom1978 Member

Progressive is by far the cheapest in Illinois for Tesla.

8. davecolene0606

Progressive in FL
    2 Drivers 50+
    2 new 16yrs
    MS75
    MS100D
    M3
    ANNUAL $6K

9. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

I think that if my insurance company did that to me, I wouldn't be keeping any of my cars with them. Just to prove the point.

• Like x 1
  10. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

Me too. Also, it helps to have cars at the same insurance company to get a multi-car discount.

11. David.85D

David.85D Member

We recently switched from geico to Erie. Was 20% cheaper for the whole package (2 cars, homeowners, umbrella) and Erie has better ratings and better Rep among Tesla owners.

12. Grisik

Grisik Member

I will not be keeping the other cars or the house or my business

• Like x 1
  13. Grisik

Grisik Member

I’m going to check with Erie tomorrow