TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance classifying my 60D as "high performance"

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ethank, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ethank

ethank Member

I think they looked it up based on a P90D? They claimed it had 700 hp.

Is there any form of documentation I can send my agent to prove its only 323hp?

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

They are basing it off the high cost of the car.

Who is your carrier?

3. someTimesJoe

someTimesJoe Member

When I first called to get a quote for mine, they only had 90 and 75 in their system for the X. She gave me the worst case scenario with the 75D for when I get my 60D. This is with State Farm.

Did you VIN pull anything up in their system?

4. EinSV

EinSV Member

It definitely pays to shop around.

I recently leased a P90 and my long-time insurance company quoted a price almost double what I was paying. After shopping around I found a deal with a premium only slightly higher than my current insurance on an Audi Q5 with lots of miles valued at $13,000.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I see the dilemma. Neither the Model X specs page nor the Design Studio list hp. Does the owners manual have anything?

6. ethank

ethank Member

The site used to have HP rating but doesn't anymore. The sticker doesn't either. Google returns 323 hp if you ask it.

I emailed my service tech. I'd rather not have to shop as it's the agent my parents have used since I was little. She's great.

7. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60 Vin 180XX. Reverved 8/11/2016

I was with Farmers and was quoted $235 a month for the x60D up from $75 a month on my Infiniti QX60. I switched to Liberty Mutual and got $115 a month for the x60D which includes $0 deductible glass, better car replacement, and 300/500 limits which I felt was a fair price.

8. Three60guy

Three60guy Member

9. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

10. xav-

xav- Member

I am not an insurance expert, but I am not sure telling them your car "has only 323HP" is the wisest thing to do in this case.

11. ethank

ethank Member

My prior car had 350hp. They think it has 730hp.

12. hmmm

hmmm Member

Shop around for sure. I am on the other end of the spectrum. Picked up an inventory P90DL last week and my rate is now only $20/more per month vs. my previous car (which was ~320HP), all else being equal.

I am with AAA and it sounded like they only had 2 options for Model S: P models vs. "regular". I have read about folks here getting good numbers from Progressive as well.

13. jbumps

jbumps Member

My agent is also flagging our 60D as a 'performance' vehicle. Given the price of the quote, I'm inclined not to care :)

14. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Here in Europe a 300bhp+ car that can get to 60 in 6 seconds is pretty much the definition of a 'performance' car.

15. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

Don't bother trying to argue your case - just move on to other insurers. If you are not putting a lot of miles on the car, you might consider Metromile. My P90DL is $26.97/month plus $0.037/mile driven (capped at 150mi/day)

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Add Safeco to the list of companies that see the S 90D as an S P90D. Since they see it as a 'performance model', the annual rate would be $1958 for a 45 y/o male with no accidents, no tickets, multi-policy discount and multi-car discount and 250/500 coverage with $1000 deductible. I have a 27 y/o friend who pays less than that for his S 90D coverage with Progressive. Safeco said it might be cheaper if they could get it changed but only the underwriter would be able to determine that. I'll ask them to run it by the underwriter. If they can't do a lot better, I'll probably be moving all of my policies elsewhere.