Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Company for Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone notice their Tesla Model S insurance premium increased recently? My doubled from $500 for 6 months to $1k. 21st century said it was due to re-adjustment made by the national Auto Insurance people (whoever they are) and not 21st Century.... does this sound right?

Just got my SF policy renewal. It went from $875 every 6 months to$1,460! I'll be shopping around.

I'm the S. Florida area:

Progressive and Gieco were about the same: $1368/6 months for only $50/$100 <-- I should probably increase this. Uninsured & $1350 max rental. $500 deductibles. Nothing on my record. All of my gas savings is going to insurance.

Same companies - cost to insurance a Corvette? Closer to $500/6 months.

Insurance companies are becoming aware that Teslas take a long time to fix and parts are scarce. And not just anyone can fix these things.

Reactions: sundaymorning
I feel lucky - added p85d only $410 / 6 month (with many other cars already on my policy).
Progressive, middle aged male, no tickets, living outside of GR in Michigan. 250k/500k bodily and uninsured with $1k deductible - no rental rider/coverage needed.

Sad part was I was with AAA for 25 years before progressive and liked AAA (even got the silver bumper sticker and keychain they send you at 25 yr membership) and left for >25% reduction from progressive. When I called AAA to cancel service they never even asked why I was leaving or put me into a retention process / feedback.

I’ll have to call Progressive and check, so far I called Geico and their rates are cheaper than 21st century, which is under State Farm. I was with 21st Century since 1995 when they went through their bankruptcy, I asked for a reasonable explaination why my rates increased by 100% and they couldn’t provide anything other than there has been a recent “re-evaluation.” Having never dealt with Gieco, I saw an immediate discount for all three cars, 21st/State Farm didn’t even care to match prices. I ended the concersation with “thank you for your business I’ll be switching, it’s a no brainer.”

A lot of insurance companies are currently struggling with profitability, rates going up for more than just Teslas. (Yes, I know not everyone everywhere, but even Geico is currently running over a 100 combined ratio.)

I also found the best deal (with higher coverage, 250/500/250) with Ameriprise through Costco. Recommend you check into them, they seem like a decent company, and are recommended by Costco (not saying this makes them better) but it is good enough for me, and just hope I do not need to file a claim any time soon to discover how well or bad their Service may be.

Well, for the fun of it I decided to try Ameriprise. Their quote was almost exactly twice what we are paying with GEICO in Virginia. So far, this has been pretty consistent - every quote I get is 50-200% higher than GEICO.

I've seen a lot of people have issues with CSAA (AAA Northern California). They wanted $1,110/6 months for the Model S, Geico was that same cost but for all three of our vehicles (old 4Runner, Odyssey Minivan, and Model S) saving us over $3,000/year! ---Yes that sounds like a Geico commercial, but it actually just happened.

I switched from USAA to GEICO last year and it saved us about 1/3 off what we were paying. We have a lot of cars and teen drivers, so that was a nice switch! Same limits.

When a foreign object bounced off a truck and hit my Tesla, GEICO covered everything, even $1000 toward the rewrap that I'd forgot to add to the policy as an aftermarket accessory. Make sure to tell them about those things.

I got a quote for the Model 3 due at the end of the month, and it was a very reasonable at $354/6 months.

Model S is $511/6 months and I get the odd ticket every now and then :)