Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance cost difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder, with all of the current (and future) self-driving features on the new Ds, what impact those will have on the cost of insurance? It would seem that the more safety and security features a car has, the more discounts you receive.

I hope so. In terms of expense, fixing aluminum bodies will cost more, but that's unavoidable. Hopefully with Ford releases the F150s with the aluminum body, more body shops will be able/willing to work with the material, as well.

Our Model S costs about $5/month more than our gas guzzling Prius did;)
The collision is much more expensive, due to cost of repairs,
the comprehensive is much less, due to the incredible safety for occupants, so it balances out.

I hope so. In terms of expense, fixing aluminum bodies will cost more, but that's unavoidable. Hopefully with Ford releases the F150s with the aluminum body, more body shops will be able/willing to work with the material, as well.
People keep saying that, but I have yet to find a body shop who "works" with the metal of a car. Nobody seems to do sheet metal work, it's all remove/replace. And if that's all you're doing, it doesn't matter if it's aluminum or steel or carbon fibre or anything else.

People keep saying that, but I have yet to find a body shop who "works" with the metal of a car. Nobody seems to do sheet metal work, it's all remove/replace. And if that's all you're doing, it doesn't matter if it's aluminum or steel or carbon fibre or anything else.
Good point, most the work I've ever had done due to deer collisions has been rip and replace work.