TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance cost difference?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by swengl, Dec 19, 2014.

1. swengl

swengl Member

Just curious: Has anyone seen a significant increase/decrease in the cost of car insurance (over owning a ICE vehicle) since purchasing a Model S?

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

No. My P85 was slightly less expensive than the Mercedes CL55 AMG it replaced.

3. swengl

swengl Member

I wonder, with all of the current (and future) self-driving features on the new Ds, what impact those will have on the cost of insurance? It would seem that the more safety and security features a car has, the more discounts you receive.

4. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

If it results in fewer, less expensive claims than other cars, that's exactly what you'll see.

5. swengl

swengl Member

I hope so. In terms of expense, fixing aluminum bodies will cost more, but that's unavoidable. Hopefully with Ford releases the F150s with the aluminum body, more body shops will be able/willing to work with the material, as well.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Our Model S costs about $5/month more than our gas guzzling Prius did;)
    The collision is much more expensive, due to cost of repairs,
    the comprehensive is much less, due to the incredible safety for occupants, so it balances out.

7. swengl

swengl Member

Good to know, thanks!

8. green1

green1 Active Member

People keep saying that, but I have yet to find a body shop who "works" with the metal of a car. Nobody seems to do sheet metal work, it's all remove/replace. And if that's all you're doing, it doesn't matter if it's aluminum or steel or carbon fibre or anything else.

9. swengl

swengl Member

Good point, most the work I've ever had done due to deer collisions has been rip and replace work.