Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Costs & Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helpful responses all around! I’ll have to check Geico again as I’m most likely stuck having to switch soon.

Has anyone managed to get per mile insurance? Progressive gave me a quote but it was quite high, Allstate Milewise’s device doesn’t seem to work and Metromike seems to have given up on Tesla altogether.

Funny I just did a quote for Metromile and it allowed me to add MY without issues, yet it was higher than my progressive insurance at the moment. I like in NJ btw...

I asked them about this. They claimed over the phone that the website still allows you to get a quote but their underwriter (the company that backs the insurance) won’t agree to approving it anywhere but in CA.

The issue is with the device they require you to install, which doesn’t work on a Tesla. I’m having the same problem with Allstate’s Milewise and will have to switch to something else soon.

I asked them about this. They claimed over the phone that the website still allows you to get a quote but their underwriter (the company that backs the insurance) won’t agree to approving it anywhere but in CA.

The issue is with the device they require you to install, which doesn’t work on a Tesla. I’m having the same problem with Allstate’s Milewise and will have to switch to something else soon.

I don't understand why won't they make an app that you have to have on while driving and GPS on... In a way it's not 100% fool proof but it's an option.

I don't understand why won't they make an app that you have to have on while driving and GPS on... In a way it's not 100% fool proof but it's an option.

I believe they have that but it’s not as popular or cheap. They use the telemetrics of the OBD2 port to gather data about your driving that is then used for more general rates. My guess is they don’t get that level of data with a phone.

Some of you are from California. Have you tried getting quotes from the Tesla Insurance?
Tesla insurance was more than double of Geico (note that adding the Y to Geico triggered a multi-car discount). One Model Y with Tesla insurance equaled 150% of the premium for two vehicles (Leaf and Y) with Geico...

Though I'm guessing Tesla insurance did not take into account my real driving history (over 30 years, but only 10 years in the USA). There's no way to specify that.

Tesla insurance was more than double of Geico (note that adding the Y to Geico triggered a multi-car discount). One Model Y with Tesla insurance equaled 150% of the premium for two vehicles (Leaf and Y) with Geico...

Though I'm guessing Tesla insurance did not take into account my real driving history (over 30 years, but only 10 years in the USA). There's no way to specify that.

Is Tesla insurance really that expensive. I would assume they want people to sign up with Tesla since they can get premiums and they produce parts too.

On the other note I got bunch of discounts from Progressive, that it lowered my premium to $625/6mo and I only drive for last 15 years (the period of time living in US) so I think you should get even better discount. I also got defensive driving course discount (I took the course online for like $25) even thought I had my insurance already bought and paid in full for 6 months. Most insurances won't give you Defensive Driving discount if you didn't get the course don't before signing up for the insurance. Not saying Progressive is great, because I had my battles with them on the commercial side of the insurance but when I had my Audi A4 with them they paid me for everything that was I need of repairs.

A note about GEICO. I went with them as I already have several other cars under them. I did notice that after the Y was added to my account it did not show as having several safety features such as ABS, passive restraint, or any type of security system. After I updated the vehicle profile my rate dropped by about $85 for the 6mo. I still need to get off my lazy a$$ though and shop around for a better rate.

Be careful with Geico. They are hell to deal with in the case of an accident. My 3 was totaled and they were trying to only pay me for the basic 3 and they cancelled my rental car before finalizing my payment. I fought them hard and threatened to report them to the state and all of a sudden, a supervisor was able to resolve my issues. I used NADA website to determine your car value,

Oh I also had to wait for my adjuster to return from vacation before anyone would look at my claim. Also they quoted 4 hours for the tow to reach me but Tesla was able to tow me in 45 minutes.

I was so happy to pay only $90/month for my insurance but it was a shitty experience. Luckily I came to this forum and people mentioned that Geico low balls you when they total your car but if you fight them, you’ll get what you need.

I have GEICO and got $345 ($500 deductible) for six months on my Y (in NJ)
I hope you never get in an accident...but in case this is my experience..use NADA website and fight them to get the amount you deserve

Be careful with Geico. They are hell to deal with in the case of an accident. My 3 was totaled and they were trying to only pay me for the basic 3 and they cancelled my rental car before finalizing my payment. I fought them hard and threatened to report them to the state and all of a sudden, a supervisor was able to resolve my issues. I used NADA website to determine your car value,

Oh I also had to wait for my adjuster to return from vacation before anyone would look at my claim. Also they quoted 4 hours for the tow to reach me but Tesla was able to tow me in 45 minutes.

I was so happy to pay only $90/month for my insurance but it was a shitty experience. Luckily I came to this forum and people mentioned that Geico low balls you when they total your car but if you fight them, you’ll get what you need.

Some of you are from California. Have you tried getting quotes from the Tesla Insurance?

Tesla was really high for me (50+ years old, 30+ year driving history, zero tickets/at-fault accidents).

I’m with Wawanesa, and my premium went up $7.00/6 months (yes, seven dollars) over the 2017 Bolt my wife’s Model Y replaced. Full coverage, max limits on everything. They are FANTASTIC when you have a claim. Best I’ve ever experienced. I have my homeowners with them, too.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY

I went with Tesla insurance. I have fairly high limits-- 250k/500k... with $500 collision/comp. for $750/6mo. Granted, I am in the bay area and insurance is $$$ whichever way you go. Other quotes I've gotten was Progressive $825/6mo. and then going to lump AAA/Geico/Allstate/Esurance etc. etc. quoting me btwn. $1200-$1600/6 mo.

This is having a clean driving history + 15years licensed.

I went with Tesla insurance. I have fairly high limits-- 250k/500k... with $500 collision/comp. for $750/6mo. Granted, I am in the bay area and insurance is $$$ whichever way you go. Other quotes I've gotten was Progressive $825/6mo. and then going to lump AAA/Geico/Allstate/Esurance etc. etc. quoting me btwn. $1200-$1600/6 mo.

This is having a clean driving history + 15years licensed.
I would assume Tesla isn’t the actual insurer, but acting as an agent/broker for some other carrier. Do you know what carrier is actually writing the policy? If I’m correct it will say so on the declarations page of your policy.

This is GEICO’s play on EVERY disputed claim. Usually if you fight long enough, a supervisor will magically review the file and add a little more to make it closer to fair. Most people don’t have the patience, stamina, knowledge or financial resources to spend the time and energy doing that, but in many of the cases I handle that’s what you have to do.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
I would assume Tesla isn’t the actual insurer, but acting as an agent/broker for some other carrier. Do you know what carrier is actually writing the policy? If I’m correct it will say so on the declarations page of your policy.

Tesla is the producer, State National Insurance is the underwriter. To my knowledge, this company is not usually a B2C and more of a B2B, whereas Geico or Allstate is the producer and underwriter. But from the forums of those who've made claims, any claims arising is dealt by Tesla, not State National.