Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Costs & Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you all sure to modify the coverage options when seeking a quote from progressive? When I went through the quote process, upon cursory review they were cheaper but then I realized they were quoting for their “basic” coverage. I had to then modify the quote to their “best” coverage and the net difference between them and what I pay State Farm was hardly noticeable (~<$5 -10/month).

I have State Farm

My Driver Profile is
Accidents in last 5 years: 1
1 Vehicle

Covereage
100/300/100, 500 Collision, 0 Comp, 100K under/uninsured and some other odds and ends for injury

I pay 160/MO but State Farm has their Drive Safe and Save discount which uses a little Bluetooth deal to know when you are in the car and then your phone to track driving and on my last vehicle (2019 Dodge Ram) it dropped my rate by about 20% after the first 6 months of them watching me drive, so hopefully that happens again. Once the accident falls off my record the price should hopefully get better. State Farm was the cheapest I could find from the major companies, I had a small internet company, Root, a couple years ago and they were hell to deal with after the accident so never again will I go with a company where I can't walk in to the office and look my agent in the eyes.

My agent also said that as long as I send a receipt and photos of modifications (PPF, Tint, Wheels, Spoilers, etc) at the time of purchase they will be covered, so that is a nice perk that maybe the case with everyone else too.

Just threw my 2021Y VIN into the USAA calculator. $550/6 months. I have 500/500, 1Mil uninsured, 4 cars, no tickets, no accidents. Thought this was pretty high, but it is CT and a new car. Could the single piece casting crank the price up as well? Probably...

I have 4 cars, they are all about 400-500$/year. I have a 1 MM umbrella policy that gives me liability protection across all cars and my home insurance. I think that is about 800/year. I suppose you could put 100$ of that on each car and the rest on the home and property. I have the umbrella mostly as I have a large property and I am concerned to have a snowmobile or motorcycle get hurt and claim it against me...
The car insurance has nice coverage with 200$ comp and 750$ collision deductibles. Hope this helps you...

Which company are you with?

Are you all sure to modify the coverage options when seeking a quote from progressive? When I went through the quote process, upon cursory review they were cheaper but then I realized they were quoting for their “basic” coverage. I had to then modify the quote to their “best” coverage and the net difference between them and what I pay State Farm was hardly noticeable (~<$5 -10/month).

I do quotes based on actual coverage numbers, that way I can compare apples to apples. For example, deductibles will impact significantly a premium coverage, so you can't compare $250 deductible with a quote for a $500 deductible.

That said, all things equal it was still considerably less than Geico.