Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance cover for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
In anticipation of picking up our M3 in March, I’m wondering whether anyone has had experience surrounding making a claim for a total loss/theft where FSD has been paid for?

We’ve obtained our insurance through Admiral. They state any modifications from standard spec need to be declared in order to be covered in case of a payout (As opposed to other insurance companies I have used in the past, who aren’t interested in any factory fitted optional extras). Admiral amended our policy to add the tow bar, however apparently the FSD isn’t something they class as a modification. I did provide the full cost of the car, including FSD, as the value when I took out the insurance.

So I’m wondering whether anyone has had to make a claim and what the result was? We’re paying £6800 for what is essentially a software unlock, however it’s a lot of money to lose if we write off the car after a few months, if Admiral were to challenge this (we have kept the transcript of the conversation with them where we’ve made them aware of the tow bar and FSD options). I know this has been raised with Elon, who has acknowledged the issue on Twitter. Just wondering if anyone had any experience?

Following with interest as Admiral is currently my cheapest quote that I will be pulling the trigger on as soon as I get my reg come through.

I have spoken to ALA about gap insurance though, and they have said they will cover FSD as its FACTORY fitted not DEALER fitted.

So that could be a backup plan? Especially if you were considering getting GAP anyway.

Following with interest as Admiral is currently my cheapest quote that I will be pulling the trigger on as soon as I get my reg come through.

I have spoken to ALA about gap insurance though, and they have said they will cover FSD as its FACTORY fitted not DEALER fitted.

So that could be a backup plan? Especially if you were considering getting GAP anyway.
Good to know. The plan was to pick up GAP insurance through ALA.

We’ve obtained our insurance through Admiral. They state any modifications from standard spec need to be declared in order to be covered in case of a payout (As opposed to other insurance companies I have used in the past, who aren’t interested in any factory fitted optional extras). Admiral amended our policy to add the tow bar, however apparently the FSD isn’t something they class as a modification. I did provide the full cost of the car, including FSD, as the value when I took out the insurance.

I've been getting insurance quote from Admiral. It gave a big list of modifications (below), including manufacturer fitted/supplied ones. Some easy to work out, winter tyres, but not sure about FSD - for the initial quote I just ticked lane keep assist and auto park. Also not sure what to do wrt a small bit of PPF and security features - immobiliser, tracker - imho, it hasn't.

Also, wtf is mini chilli pack, mini salt pack and mini pepper pack?

upload_2021-3-4_17-11-41.png

I've been getting insurance quote from Admiral. It gave a big list of modifications (below), including manufacturer fitted/supplied ones. Some easy to work out, winter tyres, but not sure about FSD - for the initial quote I just ticked lane keep assist and auto park. Also not sure what to do wrt a small bit of PPF and security features - immobiliser, tracker - imho, it hasn't.

View attachment 641993
Something to do with the dump valve ...obviously :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger

View attachment 641993

Got to question if they have any inkling of what much of the stuff in that list actually is, when they define LPG as "Low Power Gas", when in reality it's Liquefied Petroleum Gas . . .