Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance discount for COVID-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nationwide Private Client:

To support you during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering a one-time premium credit of $50 per policy for personal auto policies active as of March 31, 2020. You don’t need to do anything. Credits will automatically be applied to your billing account within the next 30 days. We are offering this rapid relief at a time when many drivers are making the right choice to stay off the road and remain home to help “flatten the curve.”

Works out to about 25% of our monthly premium for two commuter cars.

Laying off nurses during this situation? Pretty sure they are in demand everywhere.

most hospitals nationwide are actually low on census. (Contrary to what the news will have you believe). My hospital has been at peak census for the past 8-12months. We have been crazy busy. Then this panic hit and we are at something around 1/2 full. (I’m being intentionally vague, don’t confuse that with dishonest).
Sorry to hear. What state are you in?
Tx, but this lay-off (They are calling it a 3 month furlough) is nationwide.

I just called Tesla insurance and here's the official answer:

They're working on the detailed refund plans but it's not finalized yet. The only thing they can do now, which will take effect immediately, is to lower the annual mileage.

They said decision makings are slow because they're only in business for 7 months :) which I think is reasonable. Once it's finalized they'll notify us.

But my annual mileage is already low now so the recalculation only saves me about $10 per month. So I think I'll just wait for the official plan.

Last edited:
Tesla Insurance definitely has growing pains. I had to file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner when an agent told me they couldn't add a non-Tesla vehicle to my account for 3 months. Once the commissioner's office contacted Tesla, someone immediately reached out and we had the vehicle on my policy the same day.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Switched my mileage from 10k to 2k and premium went down by $25 a month through Geico. Nothing spectacular. Thought it would be more but better than nothing. I think this should still be on top of the 15% they are crediting for policy renewals.
Tesla offered a considerably better rate for 2k annual mileage but switching back to 10k after would be the same. Not worth it in the end to switch.

most hospitals nationwide are actually low on census. (Contrary to what the news will have you believe). My hospital has been at peak census for the past 8-12months. We have been crazy busy. Then this panic hit and we are at something around 1/2 full. (I’m being intentionally vague, don’t confuse that with dishonest).

Tx, but this lay-off (They are calling it a 3 month furlough) is nationwide.

Yes related to "elective" procedures being canceled, meanwhile some states are nowhere near peak models. We're spending less on healthcare in total= less money to hospitals etc.

Yes related to "elective" procedures being canceled, meanwhile some states are nowhere near peak models. We're spending less on healthcare in total= less money to hospitals etc.
Also related to emergency room visits and direct admissions from doctors. Strokes, MI’s, heart failure patients... it’s not just the elective surgeries. People are terrified to come to hospitals. Many doctors are encouraging patients try to manage their worsening conditions at home, so by the time they do come in they are in really bad shape.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Also related to emergency room visits and direct admissions from doctors. Strokes, MI’s, heart failure patients... it’s not just the elective surgeries. People are terrified to come to hospitals. Many doctors are encouraging patients try to manage their worsening conditions at home, so by the time they do come in they are in really bad shape.

I wonder if they'll be able to track these "distancing deaths"