Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Fire - How To "fix" Stranded Assets - Oil Refinery Fire

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
possible reasons:

- Oil Industry almost always raises prices for the summer - less supply prices move up.
- Insurance fire - how better to avoid stranded asset and minimize losses. Turn lemons into lemonade.
- Oh, it is just an accident, s**t happens, just like nuke power plants sometimes meltdown. no s**t.

Google search will yield many choices - pick your favorite sources.

some examples:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f47c7106d112

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-biggest-oil-refinery-on-the-east-coast-explod-1835738349

side note: just like 9/11 - the air quality is just fine - from the Washington Post article above:
PHILADELPHIA — Explosions and a blaze at the largest oil refinery on the East Coast sent a fireball into the sky and shook homes before dawn Friday, though authorities reported only a few minor injuries and said the air was safe to breathe.

I feel safer already.;)

Last edited:

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
Article idea - or research idea: compare Tesla battery fires to Oil Refinery Fires - which is safer?

Google and you will no doubt be shocked at the number of " Oil Refinery Fires "..
Don't know if this is just usual OR if an increase (for the possible reasons stated above).

interesting times - Hope Tulsi Gabbard is a allowed to help us all.

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
Oh, sorry, must have been fake news?? The air may not be completely safe.
And of course it would take a foreign news outlet - BBC to tell us.
Philadelphia refinery fire investigators to examine potential for release of dangerous chemical

Not to worry, only about half of the US refineries use HF vs H2SO4 the above article will explain for those lacking chemistry classes.

And more proof of an insurance fire ??
They apparently are NOT repairing - closing it down.
Wonder who will pick up the clean up tab? anyone care to guess?
I'm sure before elections promises will be made to hold company accountable - after election day?

Of course safety has always been a concern - look how hard they work at it:
South Philly refinery's long history of fires, explosions, deaths and injuries

List of natural gas and oil production accidents in the United States - Wikipedia
Seems Oil & Gas are not fireproof - surprised? surprised at how many? wow, even this cynic is surprised at how many.

Local news TV stations are announcing shutdown/layoffs. YouTube/google search to watch.

Ampster

Oct 5, 2012
Kenwood, California
Article idea - or research idea: compare Tesla battery fires to Oil Refinery Fires - which is safer?......
I have encountered an argument that some Lithium battery fires can release HF gas. I have found little information on that subject. I understand the danger of an HF release from a refinery could kill thousands. The scale is significantly greater.

Brando

Sep 27, 2016
Bainbridge Island, WA
I have encountered an argument that some Lithium battery fires can release HF gas. I have found little information on that subject. I understand the danger of an HF release from a refinery could kill thousands. The scale is significantly greater.
F is one of the reported 25 different elements being tried (trial & error experiments Li-Ion).
Obvious just trace amounts. Any factory (oil refinery or GigaFactory) Could have significant/dangerous amounts when part of the production processes. Apparently 1/2 of oil refineries and are any commercial Li-Ion battery factories using F ?? unknown, to me.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC