TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance for aftermarket additions (e.g. XPEL paint protection film)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Peter_M, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

A post elsewhere on TMC triggered me to check with my insurance company whether they would cover replacing the XPEL Ultimate paint protection film on my car if I ever get in an accident and make a claim. Not surprisingly, the answer was no - they don't cover aftermarket additions / improvements. But surprisingly, when I asked if I could add coverage for this (with an additional premium), they also said no.

Any suggestions? I could just do nothing and know that I'll have to pay for the XPEL repair myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has found an insurance company willing to insure aftermarket improvements.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I'm with progressive and I have an added line on my policy for aftermarket items for about $5k to cover my XPEL wrap and TSportline TST's and tires. The cost was something like $10 for 6 months.

3. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Thanks, but you're in New Jersey, right? I'm wondering if any insurance companies in Ontario do this.