Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for M3 [Trying to start a mega thread]

buzbe

Sep 18, 2018
High Wycombe
Hi guys,

I'm looking at compiling a list of "good" insurance companies for the M3 (P+ in my case).

So far the quotes have ranged from £650+ - including some ridiculously high quotes.

Who have people found the best so far?

MelT3

Oct 27, 2019
Leics
Direct line - £500 compulsory excess, no voluntary excess, costing just over £500 with protected no claims included. Compared to some, feel I’ve got a really good deal. Currently with a different insurer so I will be a new customer - don’t know if that’s made a difference?

buzbe

Sep 18, 2018
High Wycombe
Direct line - £500 compulsory excess, no voluntary excess, costing just over £500 with protected no claims included. Compared to some, feel I’ve got a really good deal. Currently with a different insurer so I will be a new customer - don’t know if that’s made a difference?

Was that on a P+? Thats a great deal

tsh2

Aug 27, 2019
Cambridge, UK
LV, SR+, ~£580 without using NCB (still not sold the old car, and AXA wouldn't quote, but it has 16 years). 3rd car which I'm insured on, 15k miles inc. business use.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I’m with LV. LR AWD. Aged 60, 11 years NCD, 15k miles, garaged at night, Derbyshire, self & spouse - £398 with protected NCD, total excess £750.

I’m paying roughly 50% more for the Tesla than my previous Kona EV. Worth every penny :D

Martinb999

Jun 28, 2019
Canterbury UK
I went with LV. Aged 61, 18 years NCB, 15000 miles per year, in Kent (near the coast). Garaged day and night when not being used, Self and spouse too.
£261 with protected NCB, excess £500 (covered by excess insurance (£19 per year).

Cowpring

Aug 14, 2019
London, UK
Direct Line were cheapest for me (not got car yet, picking up in a week but got a Direct Line quote ready to go).

£1,200 on a SR+, white, stock. Compulsory excess £500 and £250 voluntry.

Was about £600 but had another driver crash my current car, which almost doubled my premium and lost me 8 years no claims...wasn't even my fault.

32 years old, driving since 2005, never had an accident in my life. Never adding someone to my policy again. I hate insurance.

LV quoted £1,800 for same cover.

Admiral, my current insurer, were asking for an additional £2,400 for coverage from now until March 2020...and that was before the claim was made!

IanB

Jul 11, 2019
Merseyside
Always remember to take a look at cashback sites for the likes of car insurance, sometimes in the past I have been able to get £100 cashback when taking out a new policy, I tend to use Quidco and have been for years, but there are others.

If you aren't already on Quidco, please use my link and we each get a Brucey bonus :)

Join Quidco Now!

I have been with Quidco pretty much since they started many years ago and my total cashback is currently £3,121.66, yes over 3 thousand, much of that is with Insurance policies, Broadband and Mobile phone contracts, as they are the big payouts. Just this week I got £150 cashback when taking out an ISA with Scottish Friendly :)

LV which a few have mentioned, currently offering £38 when a new policy taken out.

Last edited:

buzbe

Sep 18, 2018
High Wycombe
Direct Line were cheapest for me (not got car yet, picking up in a week but got a Direct Line quote ready to go).

£1,200 on a SR+, white, stock. Compulsory excess £500 and £250 voluntry.

Was about £600 but had another driver crash my current car, which almost doubled my premium and lost me 8 years no claims...wasn't even my fault.

32 years old, driving since 2005, never had an accident in my life. Never adding someone to my policy again. I hate insurance.

LV quoted £1,800 for same cover.

Admiral, my current insurer, were asking for an additional £2,400 for coverage from now until March 2020...and that was before the claim was made!

I just got a additional.. £152 for adding the P+ to my insurance between now and March.

Makes me think they've misquoted me - total for the year £421. Just seems too cheap - but she confirmed the car twice...

TomD

Jul 24, 2019
UK
LR AWD, 29 years old, 3 years NCB and Churchill offering me the best price (through Moneysupermarket) of £1142 but this price jumps all over the place, has been as high as £1600 and as low as £950.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
LV for me. £338
Direct Line £868
Novo £700 but cover was very good and much better than Direct Line.
Churchill was cheaper than Direct Line initially but after 'extras' were added it worked out about the same.

Cwmwd

Sep 12, 2019
Wales/UK
GoCompare came up with a Churchill quote for £373 on LRAWD (43yo/17y NCD/GaragedOvernight/Personal+Commute) compared to £591 from LV. Tesla link to DirectLine came up with £466.

booyaka76

Aug 19, 2019
Ayrshire
Always remember to take a look at cashback sites for the likes of car insurance, sometimes in the past I have been able to get £100 cashback when taking out a new policy, I tend to use Quidco and have been for years, but there are others.

If you aren't already on Quidco, please use my link and we each get a Brucey bonus :)

Join Quidco Now!

I have been with Quidco pretty much since they started many years ago and my total cashback is currently £3,121.66, yes over 3 thousand, much of that is with Insurance policies, Broadband and Mobile phone contracts, as they are the big payouts. Just this week I got £150 cashback when taking out an ISA with Scottish Friendly :)

LV which a few have mentioned, currently offering £38 when a new policy taken out.

Not always the case.

Do a quote before without using cashbacksites - Get the figures, then go via cashbacksite and check it's the same.

Did a few years ago and Admiral were paying £75 for a new car policy. However, they simply were charging £75 more when you clicked via the cashback site (Quidco) that if you went direct.

Always quote twice - NEVER trust cashback sites. (I've made thousands from Topcashback so I'm no knocking it but always check)

booyaka76

Aug 19, 2019
Ayrshire
LV - 43 years old, SR+, full comp with business miles, 10 years no claims, 2 current claims on record. excess £500 and £250 voluntary.

£600 a year and I've insured the excess (£750) for £40 a year.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC