Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for Model S in Massachusetts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about two years since there's been a thread on this, and would much appreciate any advice (and rates if you don't mind sharing) for auto insurance in Massachusetts for a Model S.

My current carrier is Pure Insurance, $750/year for our Prius, and it would be an additional $1,830/year to add the Tesla. Pure provided us great service when our last car was totaled, but just want to make sure that we're not being overcharged for the Tesla (I hear rates vary considerably), and to see if there are better options out there...

I used to live in Massachusetts, but now in northern California. I have always had Amica Mutual Insurance. Since they are a mutual company (owned by the people who are insured), you will pay a bit more upfront. But expect to get a 20 - 25% rebate on your premiums at year end if you've had no accidents. I have been with them for over 20 years and their customer service is top notch. Check Consumer Reports - they are rated first or second only to USAA. [Since I am not a current or former member of the miltary or a family member of a military person, I cannot get USAA.]

In my experience, their rates are competitive, considering the rebate at year end, and their customer service is outstanding. I'd give them a call. Good luck!

I currently have Liberty Mutual for my auto coverage (including my Tesla). I haven't had a claim, so I can't speak to any details around that, but the rates are competitive. I had Geico for the Tesla, but they raised my rates by 10% the first year, and 30% the year after that with no claims. I have also had Safety Insurance for my Tesla, and their rates where good, but their service was abysmal. Don't be afraid to shop around - it's hasn't been hard to find policies in the $1200-$1400/yr range.

I am fortunate to be able to use USAA. My premium for a leased 70D is $1263. I emphasize the lease because the lease requires limits higher than I have usually carried, including a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive, and $300K/$500K for all 3 bodily injury categories.

I used to live in Massachusetts, but now in northern California. I have always had Amica Mutual Insurance. Since they are a mutual company (owned by the people who are insured), you will pay a bit more upfront. But expect to get a 20 - 25% rebate on your premiums at year end if you've had no accidents. I have been with them for over 20 years and their customer service is top notch. Check Consumer Reports - they are rated first or second only to USAA. [Since I am not a current or former member of the miltary or a family member of a military person, I cannot get USAA.]

In my experience, their rates are competitive, considering the rebate at year end, and their customer service is outstanding. I'd give them a call. Good luck!

^^ +1. Signed up with Amica when I lived in MA and kept them after moving to ME. They have always treated me well. Added my Model S 6 weeks ago and it was $300 with about 6 months left on my policy.

The quote I got from Amica was $4,257, compared to $1,765 from Liberty Mutual.

I assume the rebate check isn't large enough to make up for that difference??

And, FWIW, the Amica rep had never heard of Tesla and seemed to have a lot of trouble making the quote (had to check with a supervisor, but then was sure it was the correct quote).

$806 for my 2014 Model S85 with USAA:
Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 9.44.38 PM.jpg

Also USAA has an annual rebate check you get too (not a lot of money though)

Last edited:
The quote I got from Amica was $4,257, compared to $1,765 from Liberty Mutual.

I assume the rebate check isn't large enough to make up for that difference??

And, FWIW, the Amica rep had never heard of Tesla and seemed to have a lot of trouble making the quote (had to check with a supervisor, but then was sure it was the correct quote).

I have no explanation for that. My annual policy for Amica is $2,850 for 4 autos - (BMW M5, BMW 328, Ford Expedition, Tesla Model 85D) with an 19 year old son and 16 year old daughter on the policy.