Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for Model Y

prolivara

Jun 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I know insurance premiums depend on a ton of factors, including coverage limits and personal records. I've started to shop around for quotes and was wondering what range of premium quotes other people might have seen or gotten for their Y's. Haven't been able to price the Tesla insurance, since we haven't received our VIN yet, and are especially curious how Tesla compares. Our current vehicle has $250k/$500k/maxed out coverage limits to fulfill the requirement of our umbrella policy, so we have to shop around for the same but any data points and insight offered will be greatly appreciated.

MSM / Black / LR AWD / 20" / FSD

Cfelix

May 26, 2020
Florida
I use progressive insurance and the price change from an Acura RDX to the model Y is supposed to be only an $85 difference for me for 6 months. I do have quite a bit of coverage, but don't remember them of the top of my head. My current premium just for me on the Acura is about $670 for 6 months.

laservet

Mar 9, 2020
Williamsburg, Virginia
I have USAA. Without a VIN number they quoted me about $8 more per month than I’m paying for the BMW 2007 335i hardtop convertible the Y will replace. With the VIN number from the source code the new quote is $18 more per month than the old beemer.

Rozz

Jun 16, 2020
Wisconsin
I was quoted $700 / year for the Y, $500 deductible with a clean claim history in the midwest. We're paying in the ballpark of $600 / year for a 2018 Sienna with comparable coverage.

prolivara

Jun 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't been able to get my quote from Geico. They don't have a Model Y in their system.

I'm currently with AAA and they also don't have Model Y as a search/lookup option and so I won't be able to get a quote until I get my VIN. But our insurance broker who handles all of the insurance needs & matters for our house was able to price options with other carriers. So, now I'm just waiting for the VIN so I can price AAA and see how much the Tesla insurance will come out to.

jx45

Mar 22, 2020
So Cal
got the best quote from Ameriprise (compared to Geico, Progressive).
Geico doesn't have Model Y in their system and agent gave me an estimate.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
I'm located in the Bay Area CA.

Quote with default coverage options: $96.14/mo
Quote with $500/$100 deductible and +$50k medical payments: $111.27/mo

I think the quote is fair so I'll probably insure my Model Y through Tesla. I'm tweaking coverage numbers a bit since it's been years since I've looked at my current policy so my recollection is vague.

tls

May 17, 2015
New York, New York
Tried to replace an S with a Y on my Geico policy -- been with them for decades -- and it's still not in their system. Their manually generated quote was over 2X what I was paying for the Model S. Neither car a performance model. Guess I'll be taking my business elsewhere if they won't budge when I get them on the phone.

mliechty

Jul 5, 2020
Utah
We were told by The Hartford (where our other autos and house were insured) that they would not insure Teslas.
So our independent agent shopped around and we ended up with Auto-Owners Insurance for two autos & home.

Tesla MY policy is $943/year. 250k/500k, $500 deductible, full glass coverage.

Variables - both drivers 55+, credit score 840+, no claim history, pay for year in advance (10% savings)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC