Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know insurance premiums depend on a ton of factors, including coverage limits and personal records. I've started to shop around for quotes and was wondering what range of premium quotes other people might have seen or gotten for their Y's. Haven't been able to price the Tesla insurance, since we haven't received our VIN yet, and are especially curious how Tesla compares. Our current vehicle has $250k/$500k/maxed out coverage limits to fulfill the requirement of our umbrella policy, so we have to shop around for the same but any data points and insight offered will be greatly appreciated.

MSM / Black / LR AWD / 20" / FSD

I use progressive insurance and the price change from an Acura RDX to the model Y is supposed to be only an $85 difference for me for 6 months. I do have quite a bit of coverage, but don't remember them of the top of my head. My current premium just for me on the Acura is about $670 for 6 months.

I haven't been able to get my quote from Geico. They don't have a Model Y in their system.

I'm currently with AAA and they also don't have Model Y as a search/lookup option and so I won't be able to get a quote until I get my VIN. But our insurance broker who handles all of the insurance needs & matters for our house was able to price options with other carriers. So, now I'm just waiting for the VIN so I can price AAA and see how much the Tesla insurance will come out to.

I'm located in the Bay Area CA.

Quote with default coverage options: $96.14/mo
Quote with $500/$100 deductible and +$50k medical payments: $111.27/mo

I think the quote is fair so I'll probably insure my Model Y through Tesla. I'm tweaking coverage numbers a bit since it's been years since I've looked at my current policy so my recollection is vague.

Tried to replace an S with a Y on my Geico policy -- been with them for decades -- and it's still not in their system. Their manually generated quote was over 2X what I was paying for the Model S. Neither car a performance model. Guess I'll be taking my business elsewhere if they won't budge when I get them on the phone.

We were told by The Hartford (where our other autos and house were insured) that they would not insure Teslas.
So our independent agent shopped around and we ended up with Auto-Owners Insurance for two autos & home.

Tesla MY policy is $943/year. 250k/500k, $500 deductible, full glass coverage.

Variables - both drivers 55+, credit score 840+, no claim history, pay for year in advance (10% savings)