Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for overnight test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have an overnight test drive scheduled for this weekend. My problem is that I sold my car when I moved to Manhattan (7 years ago) and I haven't had insurance since (we are about to move to the suburbs and that's why I'm shopping for a car).

I have reached out to several insurance companies (all the usual suspects) and none of them will insure me for a day or two since "that is something that we don't do". I don't want to drive around uninsured, so does any of you know of an insurance company that would do that?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys. I don't think any insurance company would "honor" that policy since it isn't a rental agreement, as for the insurance companies for races, do you have any name? What I have found so far are companies that will add an event on top of your existing policy, but not a brand new one.

Thanks!

Hmm. I see your dilemma. Have you asked Tesla about this? On their website under Test Drive it says "Drivers must have a valid driver's license and be over the age of 21". Nothing about insurance so maybe they have coverage? Given how places like NYC are so packed with people who give up their cars and walk, take public transportation, taxi/uber etc, or rent a car (we had friends that moved to NYC and sold their Prius), this has got to be not that uncommon to not have a car and therefore not have car insurance. I definitely would want to make sure I was covered should anything happen especially given how expensive of a car is, well even if it was for the M3 or any other car, and not to mention coverage for medical etc.

Here's an article I found on temporary or short term car insurance: What is Temporary Car Insurance and Should I Get It?

It cautions against one day, 7 day or monthly insurance "policies" so be careful.

Are you planning on buying a car soon? If so I'd call a reputable insurance company...maybe one where you have home or apartment insurance or life insurance with someone already and are established with them and see what they advise. I've never been in this situation and went from being on my dad's car insurance policy to getting my own when I was going to buy a car. Always had coverage since a teen I guess.

Don't know what your situation is otherwise but places like Hertz rent Teslas in NY for as little as a day and they could provide insurance coverage for you while your rent it. Expensive way to find out if you like the car to drive and buy but might be your only way given your circumstances. Assume you want to drive it first before buying. I will say that hubby signed his contract without even doing a test drive. He had been in a co-workers car and just liked it and the ride enough to make that decision. I'm pretty sure once you sign a contract and call an insurance company and arrange for coverage through them that they will then insure you on your purchase when it comes time to drive it out of the showroom/service center.

Last edited:
Have a good friend In the same state? Have them add you to their policy for one of their vehicles. Then they drop you from the policy after the test drive. Their premium will increase then decrease. You owe them a few bucks for the time you were on the policy.

Have a good friend In the same state? Have them add you to their policy for one of their vehicles. Then they drop you from the policy after the test drive. Their premium will increase then decrease. You owe them a few bucks for the time you were on the policy.

Oh I'd hate to be that friend if there's an accident and they have to deal with all the various repercussions. Kind of like why parents don't even want to co-sign on loans for family members.

What about something like The General? You can buy their insurance online and have it effective within 24 hours IIRC...then just cancel once you're done with your test drive. Seems like a really easy process. Might be worth looking into.

It might not be cheap as I believe their fine print does say they charge some fees if you terminate the policy early, but if you're dead set on having an overnight test drive, $100 for 1-day insurance coverage would be nothing compared to if you drove the car uninsured and got into an accident.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Hi,

I have an overnight test drive scheduled for this weekend. My problem is that I sold my car when I moved to Manhattan (7 years ago) and I haven't had insurance since (we are about to move to the suburbs and that's why I'm shopping for a car).

I have reached out to several insurance companies (all the usual suspects) and none of them will insure me for a day or two since "that is something that we don't do". I don't want to drive around uninsured, so does any of you know of an insurance company that would do that?

Thanks in advance!

You need to get an insurance policy. You need it anyway if you are going to move, in advance of that try renting a Tesla from one of the companies that is offering Tesla rentals. They will offer insurance.