TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance in BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by VCanucks, May 29, 2013.

1. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

How exactly did getting insurance work? ie) did you get it before the car was delivered (is that even possible?) or is there an ICBC rep in the service center. Also curious to the rates people are getting here, saw in the other thread rates around $1000 for ontario but when i asked my local rep i got $2800 for a quote. That with $3M liability, 300 deductible and replacement.

2. milotron

milotron Member

I just got a renewal note in Victoria for $2200 with maximum discount, $3M liability, 300 deductible and full replacement.

They had the ICBC agent there to do the transfer and complete the insurance transaction. Easy...

3. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with third party insurance for the optional ICBC portion? Or third party new car replacement insurance? I am looking at $2,600 and $600 respectively when I renew, for the lower mainland.

ICBC is such a ripoff and I hope there are some alternatives, however small.

4. Hobiemon

Hobiemon Member

I went with Canadian Direct with a savings of about $1300 because I have my house insured as well. I have used them for years. If you just want the ICBC mandatory portion they won't send an agent but there is a cooperators just on Hastings about 3 mins east. I got a quote from CDI beforehand then when it was transferred into my name I just made a phone call and poof I was insured.

5. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I recently went to renew & Canadian Direct saved me about $1500! Plus they insured me for $1M more than ICBC. They are highly recommended.

6. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I also saved nearly $1000 with CDI. Sounds like an infomercial but my own agent was shocked at the savings!

7. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

Has anyone tried with BCAA for insurance? Speaking of insurance, do we just go to the agent with our VIN prior to delivery? Are taxes paid to ICBC at time of registration or to Tesla prior to pick up? Thanks.

8. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

Well, finally took delivery today. Had all kinds of problems trying to get insurance from ICBC prior to paying for the vehicle. They wouldn't accept the NVIS that Tesla gave me until all other documents were signed. I initially got a quote of $2100 or $2700 if you want new vehicle replacement. Well, today I had to lower my coverage a little bit, got $2 million, $500 deductible, new vehicle replacement (must be 70% damage, costs $300 more if you want only 50% damage). With my 43% road star discount, it came out to be just under $3100. Their quotes are not valid for more than 1 day. Can't believe it went up nearly $400 in only 2 days. Either way, that's just expensive.

9. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

@hpjtv,
    I hate to sound like a commercial for these guys but did you try Canadian Direct? When I renewed again this year they saved me another $1,300 again. Last year they saved me $1,500. And for more coverage at that.

10. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Hmmm... I wonder if this means some of our higher end insurance could be lower since in private hands I'm sure there will be less overhead?

11. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

I wondered the same thing. I've been using CDI because they gave me a better deal than ICBC... but maybe CDI will use this as an opportunity to jack their rates up while still remaining slightly cheaper than ICBC? I won't be happy if that happens. The S probably represents a much lower insurance risk in terms of human body damage, even if car body risk/cost might be higher. It strikes me that human damage payouts have the potential to greatly exceed car costs, so if anything the rates should be more competitive than comparably-priced cars from other manufacturers.