Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that renewed or purchased after ICBC changes (Sep '19) with optional from 3rd party (BCAA, Belair, etc.). Do you see an "Anti-Theft Passive Immobilizer Discount" on your ICBC basic policy?

unnamed.png

Just got a letter from Belairdirect. They increased my deductible from $1,000 to $2,500. After calling them they told me that all high priced vehicles, including Tesla's would see an increase in deductible. $2,500 is a bit high. Going to shop around.

2019 TM3 SR+, pleasure and work driving at about 35K km/year.

ICBC Basic: $691 plus $61 for licence fees

BCAA Optional: $1051

The BCAA optional includes $5,000,000 third party liability; $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive; and "replacement cost plus".

BCAA discounts include $102 for being a BCAA member, $51 for an eco-friendly vehicle, and three others totaling $50.

So about $1800 all in.

2019 TM3 SR+, pleasure and work driving at about 35K km/year.

ICBC Basic: $691 plus $61 for licence fees

BCAA Optional: $1051

The BCAA optional includes $5,000,000 third party liability; $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive; and "replacement cost plus".

BCAA discounts include $102 for being a BCAA member, $51 for an eco-friendly vehicle, and three others totaling $50.

So about $1800 all in.

That's a great deal. How many years driving? I haven't got my VIN yet for my SR+, but I think it's slightly cheaper to go with BCAA than ICBC optional.

That's a great deal. How many years driving? I haven't got my VIN yet for my SR+, but I think it's slightly cheaper to go with BCAA than ICBC optional.

Insurance on the island is significantly cheaper than the lower mainland. In general BCAA optional is cheaper, but you need to qualify, by having no accidents and 10+ yrs of driving experience.

To/from work less than 15km, in Vernon, total $2,234. Had I gone with just ICBC, it would be $432 more.
Combined driver factor is 0.607 (this is the number they scale with now), driving for 11 & 10 years.

$1,430 BCAA Optional
  • $2,000,000 total liability
  • $1,000/$500 deductibles (I think... I'm gonna have to double-check this)
$804 ICBC Basic

ICBC really jacked up the optionals, but reduced the basic. It was pretty close last year so we just went full ICBC, but with a >$400 difference I just can't. Thankfully, BCAA now gives the discount for a fuel efficient vehicle (they didn't a year ago, at least not for our LR AWD). Notably, if I used our old postal code (5 minutes down the street but in a similar area) it raises the cost with BCAA by nearly $1000.

Is anyone concerned about repairs at a certified body shop though? I guess in Vancouver it may be less of a concern, but out here in the Okanagan there's no overlap between BCAA shops and Tesla certified shops.

Fun fact: This is significantly less than I got quoted for my 2014 Honda Crosstour for pleasure use, which would've just about bankrupted us had we not sold it. Ridiculous.

Renewed back in April.
To/From work more than 15km + pleasure use, in Vancouver, no other additional drivers, Combined driver factor 0.540

ICBC Basic $1083
Annual Lciense Fee $61
BC Parks Plate Renewal Fee $40
ICBC Total $1184

BCAA
Extended Third Party Liability Coverage up to 2,800,000 $232.32
Collision Coverage, 300 deductible $497.64
Comprehensive Coverage, 300 deductible $311.72
Preferred Driver Package $20
Replacement Cost $161.87
Discounts
Anti Theift -$15.59
ESC Discount -$24.88
Eco-Friendly Vehicle Discount -$52.09
BCAA Member Discount -$104.16
BCAA Total $1026.83

Grand Total $2210.83

Anyone here take delivery of a previous Tesla model on release? If so, did you have issues getting insurance from BCAA?

We're supposed to take delivery of our MY on Wednesday and when I called BCAA to get a quote (with VIN) the MY wasn't in their system so they need to call underwriting and get back to me. Am wondering if A) they'll be able to insure the vehicle at all and B) if it isn't in their system yet, am I going to get a ridiculous rate?

Anyone here take delivery of a previous Tesla model on release? If so, did you have issues getting insurance from BCAA?

We're supposed to take delivery of our MY on Wednesday and when I called BCAA to get a quote (with VIN) the MY wasn't in their system so they need to call underwriting and get back to me. Am wondering if A) they'll be able to insure the vehicle at all and B) if it isn't in their system yet, am I going to get a ridiculous rate?

Well, I just heard from BCAA-they won't insure the MY this year as there's no history on it. Are there any other options for additional insurance and/or new vehicle replacement coverage? Combing through I saw Belair mentioned but looks like you need to install software (no thanks) or Aviva for replacement coverage (couldn't find info on their website).