Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks. So as far as I can tell the BCAA and ICBC policies are identical... mine didn't say anything about the glass deductible. Where would I find this?

What I meant to ask was that if we have an insurance repair claim, we would take it to Tesla and they would send us to one of those authorized repair shops, and wouldn't those shops be using Tesla OEM parts by default? so there would be no need for the OEM parts benefit.
Look under your comprehensive coverage in your insurance papers. I’ve attached an ICBC and BCAA example. Most glass places will do rock chips without having to contact the insurance. For most other repairs under your comprehensive coverage, you need to contact the corresponding insurance and get authorization. I’ve asked Tesla before, they don’t do insurance claims but can refer you to the proper place so you can inform your insurance company where you want it fixed. Yes, the shops would use Tesla OEM parts (that’s why it can take so long for a repair job since they have to get it direct from Tesla) otherwise they would let you know.

Attachments

• 9D04D713-D409-4440-BFE7-D7BE16829B13.jpeg
    9D04D713-D409-4440-BFE7-D7BE16829B13.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 557
  • AC080015-BF2C-4444-A77C-569046C48A0D.jpeg
    AC080015-BF2C-4444-A77C-569046C48A0D.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 132
Look under your comprehensive coverage in your insurance papers. I’ve attached an ICBC and BCAA example.
Got it! Thanks. I don't think we have the 0 windshield deductible but if we get the replacement insurance it will cover all deductibles anyway so may not matter.
Yes, the shops would use Tesla OEM parts (that’s why it can take so long for a repair job since they have to get it direct from Tesla) otherwise they would let you know.
Ok cool. So in this case I would say there's probably no need to pay extra for the OEM parts guarantee, since there are no aftermarket parts to be used - does this sound about right? Also I am new to this - I know Tesla parts are very specialized due to the cameras, sensors, etc., but any idea if there's a risk of aftermarket parts being released in the next few years?

But what is people's experience with Stratford? ICBC is not good but BCAA has a very good customer service. I'm just afraid the saving people get with Stratford is not worth the bad service.
I didn't renew with BCAA again this year based on the experience my family had with them. My father-in-law's car, not a Tesla was hit while it was parked and BCAA wanted to write it off. They totally lowballed him and compared cars outside of providence and a car with a rebuilt status. I ended up having to find my own comparisons which brought the value back up for them to fix.

Reactions: sokhangoo
But what is people's experience with Stratford? ICBC is not good but BCAA has a very good customer service. I'm just afraid the saving people get with Stratford is not worth the bad service.
I honestly couldn’t really find too many negative reviews for Stratford, which usually for an insurance company is pretty easy to do. I guess I’ll find out if something happens but for now I’ll enjoy the savings.

Reactions: hpjtv and sokhangoo
In Ontario, but I think I might hold some sort of record for updating my insurance to a Model 3. Went from a 2010 Mini Cooper to a 2022 M3 LR kept all the insurance options the same ($1000 deductibles, no commute) and my rates went up $1800/year from ~$1500 to ~$3300 with belairdirect. I was expecting an increase but that's a bit intense.