TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance in CA GULP any suggestions

Discussion in 'California' started by themacs, Dec 4, 2014.

1. themacs

themacs Member

We just got our ins. from Allstate and the 1 year premium is double our Jaguar "F" type. It came out to about $1500 a year:scared:. Full coverage with 100/300 liability. Clean driving record. Lat ticket 8 years ago (speeding) and last accident (non charged) 15 years ago.

Does anyone have a suggestion of other carriers prices?

Thanks from S. Cal :)

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Ouch, time for you to switch providers! Progressive here is very reasonable. Switching from a Prius to the Tesla Model S, my insurance went up about $15 monthly. I may need to adjust the coverage level, and don't expect the cost to go up more than $30 monthly.

If Progressive doesn't offer you a good rate, continue searching (e.g. GEICO, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, etc.).

3. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

#3 DieAbetic, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    I've had mine for about a month, and did a bunch of research ahead of time. I'm in Los Angeles, so prices here are higher than the rest of CA (30% higher than Orange county!). My yearly rate is above $1500 :-(, although I do have more coverage and umbrella as well through State Farm. I'm also young, so that jacks up my rate as well - although no tickets or claims.

The least expensive I found was Geico, followed by State Farm. I stuck with State Farm because after multi-policy discount, it came out to the same as Geico with similar coverage.

If you want 1 year new car replacement, check out the Costco insurance (I think its through Ameriprise?). It'll be just a little higher than State Farm/Geico.

Progressive, Allstate, Mercury, etc were all higher. Several other smaller companies classify Tesla as an exotic, so the pricing depended on your total car cost. A few said the rate was $3K-$4K per year! Ridiculous.

Getting multi-policy through Geico or State Farm will probably give you the best rate. Good luck!

4. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I recommend checking out Ameriprise (Costco's partner). Three vehicles, including a LEAF and a P85, along with a rarely driven Honda Odyssey van, and the premium is about $640 every 6 months for all three...

5. themacs

themacs Member

I called and your absolutely right! What a difference.

6. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

who did you call and what was the quote?

7. themacs

themacs Member

I called Ameriprise and told them the the Tesla Forum referred us. They quoted it and gave us a costco discount. 2014 Tesla S, 2014 Jaguar "F" type and 2011 Lexus RX 350. Full coverage with 250/500 BI, 250/500 UM/UIM/ 1,000 Deductible collision, 100 Deductible comp total all cars $694.61 for 6 months. I was speechless (and that doesn't happen often) :)

8. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Wow. I think I will give them a call.

9. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

Looks like you've already received a great suggestion. If that doesn't work out you can try Wawanesa California out of San Diego. I've been with them for over 20 years. They are a premium carrier and if you've had at-fault accidents or tickets they may not take you but from your background description above I think you'll be fine.

I have a P85 and I pay $750 a year for it. Full coverage. We have one other car on the policy but it's very old and only $300 a year. We've already renewed on the Tesla and the rate did go up, but only around $50 for the year. Still it's around half of what you were quoted by Allstate.

Best of luck to you!

10. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I had been with Allstate for almost 25 years, when they really increased my Tesla premium last year. I called Geico and they gave me a quote of about half of Allstate's. I talked to my Allstate agent and gave him a chance to match the price. He called back and said he tried, but couldn't. So I switched. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

11. spentan

spentan Active Member

I'm currently with Progressive, and I'm paying around 1800 per 6 months,

then again I'm 26 with a P85D (on order), and only been licensed in USA since April (in Australia since 2005)

Will try Costco/Ameriprise, tried for an online quote but couldn't find Tesla in the list.