TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance in DC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by republic, Mar 10, 2014.

1. republic

republic Member

#1 republic, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    I'm taking delivery in a couple weeks and was wondering if there are any DC residents here. I'm guessing there would be a large spread of premiums due to varying levels of familiarity with the car, much as with loan companies. Which is a good Tesla insurer in this region? Is there an insurance equivalent of Alliant, a knowledgeable company that MS owners gravitate toward? Thanks in advance.

2. tiblot

tiblot Member

Hmm, I was shopping around the other day and got quoted almost the same amounts by Geico and Nationwide, $332 and $340 per 6 months.

I'm in Herndon though, not DC ... so maybe that doesn't help you :)

3. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

One in Herndon !!! Cool :)

4. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

As I recall, there are a number of threads about insurance. USAA has been identified as a good choice by many but you must be eligible to join USAA. I'd search for the other threads to see what others have recommended. Personally, I have USAA and am happy with them. I'm in Northern Virginia just a few miles outside of DC.

5. Kevin Harney

Just about anyone qualifies for USAA. If you have been or ANY relative has been in the service you qualify. I have them and they are GREAT !!

6. republic

republic Member

Gotcha. I'm active duty and thus qualify for USAA. I found other threads but wanted to see if any area owners have differing opinions. Thanks for pitching in!

7. paulkva

paulkva Member

+1 for USAA, at least in Northern Virginia. My insurance premium went up by only $20/month for a P85 vs 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. I also priced out a Lexus IS350, which would have been $10/month more than the Mazda. But as I'm sure you know, rates can be all over the place, based on coverage selected, specific location, driving record, other coverage with the same insurer, etc.

USAA has a pretty robust quote tool online, and it should recognize your specific car by VIN even though you haven't picked it up yet.

8. republic

republic Member

I just insured with USAA for $100 a month, which is remarkably cheap for someone in his twenties. Thanks again for your pointers.

9. Ride Long

Ride Long Member

You chose wisely. 4 claims (one my fault, the other three I was the victim of a total loss) in the last 30 years, and no BS. I think their premiums are very competitive, but the real key is the claims process experience. Once you're in that situation it's too late to change anything. Enjoy your ride.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#10 andrewket, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    But very expensive. Not competitive in my experience. They flat out told me "we are not competitive for expensive cars or homes because the majority of our members don't fit that model"

11. Kevin Harney

Not my experience at all. I found them to be VERY reasonable and even cheaper than most. Plus you get a rebate each year that you don't make a claim.

12. republic

republic Member

Rebate? That made my day. I needed a pick-me-up after seeing how much a CHAdeMO adapter costs.