Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in limited companies name

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a nightmare obtaining quotes at the moment - neither DL nor Churchill will offer insurance if you select "company" as legal owner during the quote! I even called DL and although the advisor couldn't comment on the specifics, he suggested it's because I'm not the "legal owner", but rather my LTD company is.

I went through Churchill again and selected myself as the legal owner and it gave me a quote... switched it back to "company" and they declined to quote. :confused:

I assume everyone above has just requested a personal quote (citing yourself as the legal owner) and then call the insurance company after the fact when your V5 document turns up and has the company as the legal owner?
No, with LV, I told them I am the registered keeper, the company is the owner. They have no problem with this and it is included in the policy wording.

Just as an update, I called Tesla this morning and they put a note on file to register in my name rather than in my company name - the guy on the phone said they have been getting this request a lot recently as more insurers have been shying away from insuring Teslas purchased through a LTD company! 😒

Fingers crossed whoever registers the car looks at the notes!

What was the outcome?
Just as an update, I called Tesla this morning and they put a note on file to register in my name rather than in my company name - the guy on the phone said they have been getting this request a lot recently as more insurers have been shying away from insuring Teslas purchased through a LTD company! 😒

Fingers crossed whoever registers the car looks at the notes!

Hi Cjro.

I did the same thing. Picked up my Model 3 at the end of March and purchased via my Ltd. Company.

I too had some issues finding fleet insurance for the car so discussed at length with my accountant who did some checking and she finally suggested that I could take out a policy in my name as long as the car was noted as being owned by the company.

I got my policy through Churchill (who were the cheapest by miles) - when you fill in the form online it asks who the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle is - just mark that as Company Owned (can't remember the exact term but there isn't that many options).

Pay on your company card and you'll get a receipt to put through your books.
You went with Churchill ? They just told me that they don’t provide insurances for business owned cars due to their legal writings.

I'm having a nightmare obtaining quotes at the moment - neither DL nor Churchill will offer insurance if you select "company" as legal owner during the quote! I even called DL and although the advisor couldn't comment on the specifics, he suggested it's because I'm not the "legal owner", but rather my LTD company is.

I went through Churchill again and selected myself as the legal owner and it gave me a quote... switched it back to "company" and they declined to quote. :confused:

I assume everyone above has just requested a personal quote (citing yourself as the legal owner) and then call the insurance company after the fact when your V5 document turns up and has the company as the legal owner?
I have similar problem now . Churchill has declined my quote. So who did you end up with ? Also what’s the right way to register the car - on your name or company’s name ?